Fishing Stokes Hill Warf

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
dv.lalor

Fishing Stokes Hill Warf

Post by dv.lalor »

Hi everyone, long time reader first time posting,

The missus and myself had a fish yesterday on Stokes Hill Wharf.

it was low incoming tide and we were fishing on the bottom just having a muck around with pilchard and squid.

Got a few fingermarks and a Spanish flag but nothing worth bragging about.

What was really interesting and we cant find anywhere on google was this eel/snake like creature we dragged off the bottom. the water was quite low and the bugger managed to jump off half way up to the wharf but it was nothing i had seen before, when we got the sinker and hook to the top it was extremely tangled and covered in slime. Does anyone have any idea what it could have been?

thanks

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fishing Stokes Hill Warf

Post by nomad »

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

perhaps a pikey eel
dv.lalor

Post by dv.lalor »

i wasnt able to get any photos because it never actually made it all the way up.

if i was to compare it to anything it looked like a giant earth worm, didnt really have the tail of an eel.

@matt flynn i wasnt able to find any photos of a pikey eel
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

Sounds like a pikey eel.

Lucky for you it feel off as the teeth on the buggers are sharp as and can do some damage.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Caught sea snakes there to be careful if your kid winds one up JUST CUT THE LINE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UNHOOK IT.

Black n white rings SUPER DEADLY POISONOUS. also some funky pink n yellow caterpillar things down there.

Good luck on big jewies run 110lb mono or bigger mainline around the pylons u can step it down from a swivel to yr paternoster rig for better presentation get up a bit them about 1-2m off the bottom. Or maybe jig a plastic but braid n pylons usually ends in tears n swearing .
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
Kadango
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kadango »

The pink and yellow catterpillar things are Bristle worms - little transparent spines on them cause irritation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Yep thats the one mate they love squid
Bacon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bacon »

goldfish wrote:Caught sea snakes there to be careful if your kid winds one up JUST CUT THE LINE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UNHOOK IT.

Black n white rings SUPER DEADLY POISONOUS. also some funky pink n yellow caterpillar things down there.

Good luck on big jewies run 110lb mono or bigger mainline around the pylons u can step it down from a swivel to yr paternoster rig for better presentation get up a bit them about 1-2m off the bottom. Or maybe jig a plastic but braid n pylons usually ends in tears n swearing .
Goldfish.... You are providing poor and dangerous advice, just so you know, sea snakes are venomous, not "SUPER DEADLY POISONOUS" also the colour of the snake does not help with identifying whether the species is "SUPER DEADLY POISONOUS" or not. Please note that all hydrophiidae are venomous not just the ones 'black n white rings'.

For your information there is a free snake catcher that operates in Darwin and is qualified to deal with snakes, including sea snakes. If you hook one in future, I would encourage you to call him to deal with it instead of cutting the line and letting the poor thing suffer a long painful death.
got-none
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by got-none »

Bacon wrote:
goldfish wrote:Caught sea snakes there to be careful if your kid winds one up JUST CUT THE LINE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UNHOOK IT.

Goldfish.... You are providing poor and dangerous advice, just so you know, sea snakes are venomous, not "SUPER DEADLY POISONOUS" also the colour of the snake does not help with identifying whether the species is "SUPER DEADLY POISONOUS" or not. Please note that all hydrophiidae are venomous not just the ones 'black n white rings'.

For your information there is a free snake catcher that operates in Darwin and is qualified to deal with snakes, including sea snakes. If you hook one in future, I would encourage you to call him to deal with it instead of cutting the line and letting the poor thing suffer a long painful death.

I agree with bacon
Everyone likes a good story weather it's true or not goldfish but misinformation could lead to someone getting hurt thinking the snakes you described are the only venomous snakes in the water meaning the others are fine to handle

:angel:
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein-
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Well chuck his phone no on the forum
I'm sure he'll be sick of call outs at all hrs from random danglers pretty quick smart.

Is he gonna come out in his boat too when we get them offshore??

Unlikely.
Bacon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bacon »

Hi All.... Goldfish/Jack Attack believes that he is an expert on snakes in Darwin Harbour yet provides dangerous advice about sea snakes and which ones are DANGEROUSLY POISONOUS... If you accidentally hook a sea snake or mudsnake, the Darwin Snake Catchers are contracted by Parks and Wildlife to catch the animal for FREE. This is their job regardless of the time of day or the situation. Their details are attached.

From recent posts about GT's at Channel Island, I can also confirm that the snake catchers are far better fisherman than Goldfish/Jack Attack and do not lie about their catches.

All the best

Bacon

DSC.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.