Timor fishing comp Atauro Island

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

theodosius wrote:I want to bring a spinning reel with me, but mine are all tiny. I want to buy one big enough to handle mackerel, tuna and GTs. I have a budget of $200. What's my best bet?

Penn 950 Ss or Maybe a Shimano Stradic for that money.

If you could stretch a little more I would be seriously considering a Daiwa Saltist from the US. In your hand for around $300 and far better than anything else for that kind of money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daiwa-Saltist-6500- ... 3ef99e9c50

Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

ENVIOUS
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
lazy days
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

timor fishing comp

Post by lazy days »

G'day Guys,

Me and 6 mates have booked to go over to this fishing comp.

Last night i wrote an email to the bloke who is organising it and this is the email he wrote back.

Sounds like we are going to have a ball over there. it will be good to catch up and have a beer with the other guys from this site that are going.

hope this info has helped anyone that has booked and has heard nothing else about the comp.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Great to hear from you and thanks for these questions. I more than happy to provide answers - we have been a bit swamped during the last two weeks but I am confident now that this is going to be a really amazing event for everyone involved.

Just as a quick explanation we will have between 200 - 250 anglers with 7/8 different nationalities. The Timorese and Australians will represent the main body of this figure. We have confirmed coverage from crews in Australia and Asia and we have locked in major support from the local government, the UN, the ISF. We are currently in talks with the NT government to send a delegation from their fisheries department to help with organising the event.

The website will be updated soon as we are processing registrations - you can check out a promo video at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FESucTtKWY

and expect the committee to get in touch with you next week. We will keep you informed every step of the way. Now your questions

Are we supplying all fishing gear. i.e. sinkers,bait etc

There are no tackle shops here in TL so we suggest you bring whatever gear is neccesary for your techniques. We will be supplying handlines with steel trace for participants that do not have their own gear but thats it. Bait (live or otherwise) can be found here - this will come out of your pocket but I wouldn't imagine this to be a high cost.

I know most people will bring they own rods/reels but will there be any there??

The fibreglass charterboats will supply some gear (rods) - also see above

I heard a rumor that the accom only sleeps 30 odd and have heard around 100 have/are booking out of Darwin alone. Do we have to bring any sleeping gear.

We are setting up a camping facility right on the beach - don't worry no crocs! I am advising people to bring a tent / mossie dome and a pillow.

Have you got any eftpos or visa out lets to paid for the alcohol etc that we will have whilst staying on the island or is cash the only way.
Cash will be the only way on the island but there are ATMs and EFTPOS available in Dili.

Are charter boats from dili coming over??

Is there any diving charters coming over to the island dueing the comp?

All of the boats available here in Timor-Leste will be involved in the competition in some way.

If people are interested in getting a dive in I could arrange this - it will cost extra - people pay 100 USD for 2 dives with gear usually.

Anyway hope this is helpful, like I said we will be in touch soon and keep everyone in the loop with regards to new developments, rules, regs. etc etc

All the best and see you in November

Sean
timwicks
Seadog
Seadog

Post by timwicks »

Thanks lazy days,
I enjoyed the promo video.

Any idea of how much this is going to cost approximately?

Cheers
Tim
Wicksy

“I think I got off on the wrong planet. Beam me up Scotty, there's no rational life here."
--- Robert Anton Wilson
Dyslexics Of The World Untie.
lazy days
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lazy days »

we paid 600, that includes air fares, acomm,food,and use of boat/dig outs.
entry to the comp is free.
I think the prize money is around 15k.
barraboss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

boats

Post by barraboss »

Hey harmsey, im on the first plane heading over, im equally as excited for big game fish out of canoes haha but shane at lattitude said that there is something in the order of 300 - 400 people entered in the competition from around the world. Do you think that they will have enough boats to charter for that qauntity of keen fisherman. Im guessing we have to take our own gear as well. Haha pretty unorganised at the moment for leaving in under a month. Reckon bringing the swag would be a bad idea hahaha. If anyone one has anything new to add information wise for this trip im keen, cos all i really know is i leave on a plane to east timor haha thats it.
Christopher Allen Wilson
lazy days
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: boats

Post by lazy days »

barraboss wrote:Hey harmsey, im on the first plane heading over, im equally as excited for big game fish out of canoes haha but shane at lattitude said that there is something in the order of 300 - 400 people entered in the competition from around the world. Do you think that they will have enough boats to charter for that qauntity of keen fisherman. Im guessing we have to take our own gear as well. Haha pretty unorganised at the moment for leaving in under a month. Reckon bringing the swag would be a bad idea hahaha. If anyone one has anything new to add information wise for this trip im keen, cos all i really know is i leave on a plane to east timor haha thats it.
G'day barraboss,

If you look at the info i wrote in the "international comp" section it should answer all you questions.

Jeff
lazy days
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lazy days »

"international fishing" section not international comp
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Has anyone heard anything more about this comp? I don't even know if I'm registed, just relying on what the travel agent told me. :-? Might have to send old mate another email next week.

I assume there will be some sort of release explaining the finer details of whats happening. But then again if its anything like the other parts of SE Asia I've visited, maybe not! :bonk: I checked the website, the only thing they've updated is a couple of photos of the beach where the boats will be mooring at night. It looks awesome by the way. Surrounded by fringing choral reefs. 8-)
PilbaraBrad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Timor Comp

Post by PilbaraBrad »

I have a mate that is flying over to cover the event. I can give you his number if you want to find out more info, PM me if you want. Otherwise here is a link to some more info

http://fishwrecked.com/forum/fishwrecke ... ompetition
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Cheers Brad, I saw that link when I googled the comp this morning. I might get that number off you if I don't here anything by next week.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

scottmac wrote:Has anyone heard anything more about this comp? I don't even know if I'm registed, just relying on what the travel agent told me. :-? Might have to send old mate another email next week.

I assume there will be some sort of release explaining the finer details of whats happening. But then again if its anything like the other parts of SE Asia I've visited, maybe not! :bonk: I checked the website, the only thing they've updated is a couple of photos of the beach where the boats will be mooring at night. It looks awesome by the way. Surrounded by fringing choral reefs. 8-)
Mate, I had a couple of mates going over but Air North bumped up the airfares an the organisers passed on the difference. They are not going now as it became too expensive. I would check up mate as there seems to be alot of confusion over this one.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Our mob ae taking 2x 1125ml bottles of rum each :drinking2: :drinking2:

anything after that will just happen I suppose.... if we ge a fish it will be a bonus :catch:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Yeah, thats pretty much my theory 2rods, if worst comes to worst, theres no fish, poop food, they run out of beer and ice :shock: theres still rum and tequila to pass the time! An island full of liqoured up Territorians, poor Timorese won't know what hit 'em! :rofl:
Jules74
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jules74 »

Had a reply from Sean the other day to a queiry about trolling from dug out canoos (picture poor little east timorese man paddling furiously to get the canoo up to trolling speed :rofl: ) and he was saying that they will be providing outriggers (?) with outboards, so at least that side is covered. Question tho, are there any other girls going from Australia or am I gonna be the only one??
Some people believe that the world is flat, carried through time on the backs of 4 elephants that are balanced on a turtle, the Great Atuin