Honiara

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Honiara

Post by jasonmcc »

Working over in Honiara, Solomon islands at the moment. Spent the arvo snorkeling a 400ft Japanese WW2 transporter that was destroyed. Its bow is on the beach and stern in around 30m. Seen some big Red Bass and Gt's in the deeper sections. Amazing fish and coral life.

Then later on we were having a smoothie at a cafe and I seen a big Sail Fish tail walking only 200m from shore.

Have not got to do any fishing, but I would not mind buying a cheap long boat to use here.

Jason

...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
mudcrabhunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudcrabhunter »

Jason,

There is plenty of marlin and sail fish over there. I was there in 2004 for 3 months and the fishing is awesome. If you want to go on a charter, there was an aussie bloke with a blackwatch game boat moored near the yacht club. The owner was a frequent drinker at the yacht club. He would be a good source of local knowledge or have the means to take you fishing. Don't know whether he is still there or not. Good luck
MAY THE TIDES BE WITH YOU
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

A bloke to run into who will show you around is Steve Goodhews. He is an ex-pusser aussie ex-pat who now lives in Honiara and operates a Scimitar called 'Lalae' out of the yacht club.

I did a day fishing charter with him in 2003. I must admit that he wasn't a gun fishing guide, he knew the waters but was mainly into island transfers for clients going from Honiara to various resort here and there.

He did have a native fellow who was his deckie who knew the ropes as far as teasers and skirts etc, but we only ended up with a Tuna and a Spaniard for the day. We did see 2 big sails playing off to one side but couldn't entice a strike.

I know the boat you were snokelling around, although I only ever saw it from about 200ft.

If you can get out to Gizo and stay for a few days, it will be worth the effort.

Cheers, Rhet
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by chanos »

Black bass in the systems at the top of choiseul island :grin:
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.

Return to “International Fishing”