Fishing Japan

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fishing Japan

Post by smed »

Lucky enough to have returned from an exchange to Japan. Last year, the Japanese crew were here & I took them out a couple of times. We did well on the crabs & got a couple of good goldies. This year, they decided to reciprocate & take me out on one of their mate's boats.
Things are a little different to what I was used to. The private boats are about 8-9 metres long & generally powered by Yanmars, though some have 90-100 horse outboards.The day we went out was quite choppy, though we copped no spray at all. Couldn't help comparing that with the GS at home.
We were in the Wakayama area for those that know the country. A very picturesque part of the country, coastline included.
The next thing that struck me as different was the tackle. The rods are very long, I'd put them at over three metres. The rods were all tied to the hull sides which made any manouvering difficult. The line was very light, hooks very small and each rod had a digital line counter built in.
The fishing technique was pretty simple, burley some bait out (very small shrimp), attach a couple of these to your hook and run your unweighted bait 20 metres out the back. I must admit that I thought the waters would be overfished, though it didn't appear to be on the day.
Here's my mate Ikuya with the first catch of the day. I think they were calling them sturgeon, though I wouldn't have a clue. We caught two varieties of fish in this place. Ikuya helped out with the burley, which saw us come in with a total of ten for an hour & a half.
You can see the size of the shrimp bait in the bucket......tiny. This area is also very popular for tuna though I think it's a very expensive hobby in Japan.
The catch was split three ways. We had it that night. Not keen on sushimi, though it was equally as good as barbequed... with plenty of beer & saki to wash it down.
If ever you're over there, be sure to visit a fish market. Absolutely amazing in terms of variety & you can usually cook & eat on the premises.
Cheers (or "Campi" in Japan).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fishing Japan

Post by smed »

Sorry... photos in reverse.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

These fish have a likeness to 'rock blackfish' or 'pigs' caught in our southern waters.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

great post smedson,,Japan has always been somewhere I,d like to see.Hope you have a few more pics and stories

campi :mrgreen:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Great post, inteesting to see what happens O/S
Wadescott
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Wadescott »

Nice pics, I was in Japan on holiday last month had a look at one of the bigger tackle shops in Tokyo, they have some spun out gear over there that's for sure, it's avoid time to go over there with the exchange rate, if I had spare cash I could have picked up the brand new Stella 20000 SW for just over $700
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Smed, berry nice. I rike the post. They damn well know how to fish and eat their catch, making me very hungry. Great, fun people and I would love to visit there one day.

Looking forward to hearing about the trip.
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

good stuff smed. always interesting to look at other cultures even if they rape the sea. :wink:
wadescott - you could always buy the gear and flogg it off when you get home.
My mate bought several sets of high end golf clubs in the US and sold them for a profit when he returned