East Timor Fishing by the Locals

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
Aaron G
Seadog
Seadog

East Timor Fishing by the Locals

Post by Aaron G »

Hey forum,

Thought you guys maybe interested, (seeing though Dili is only 1hr and a half flight from Darwin)

The other week I had the privilege of heading over to Timor Leste for a week and a half for work.

While there I got to see some of the locals fishing.

Now these locals, fished by either, net, hand line from a canoe, or spear.

A lot of the guys bring the fish straight from sea to the streets (no ice) and hang em from trees by a palm leaf. For the public to see and purchase (again no ice). One day I rode my bike past a street vendor and his big mangrove jack, I congratulated his catch and rode off. Next day, saw the same bloke, same spot, same jack, again (no Ice). (Jack lost some of his nice color!) Keep in Mind some days felt like Darwin's Build Up.

But its how they make a quid to feed there families.
(I only wish I could have slipped a local some US bucks and go out in his hollowed out canoe and fish the reef) :)

I noticed similar fish to the N.T Trevally, Macks and Wahoo. Didn't see a queenie, but plenty of Wahoo.

I sadly didn't get to do any fishing due to work, but one of the guys got to go out and scored a nice trevally. Another Bloke borrowed a Kayak and trolled for Macks... All he caught was a nappy :rofl:

Overall a great experience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: East Timor Fishing by the Locals

Post by Faulksy »

I bet Brett and 2rods are at the travel agent as we speak. Chicken and Rice the sequel coming to a 3rd world country near you.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,
Faulksy wrote:I bet Brett and 2rods are at the travel agent as we speak. Chicken and Rice the sequel coming to a 3rd world country near you.
:lolpoint: :rofl:

Nice photos any way.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Jules74
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jules74 »

On the off chance of being poop canned by a heap of guys that either went and got sick, or have a lot to say for someone who didn't even go to the first comp, Timor Leste is running another International Fishing Comp in November from memory, this one will be held out of a (European style) resort in Com.
Given half a chance, I'm going back, but then I didn't get sick the first time, and didn't expect the Nationals or the Classic from a 3rd world country.
I'll find the website address for you if you want Aaron.
Some people believe that the world is flat, carried through time on the backs of 4 elephants that are balanced on a turtle, the Great Atuin
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

Faulksy wrote:I bet Brett and 2rods are at the travel agent as we speak. Chicken and Rice the sequel coming to a 3rd world country near you.
chicken and rice :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

no ice on the fish becauce the have no "juloo" in timor

:lolpoint: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NT pirate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT pirate »

Jules74 and others interested - here's the webpage for the Com Fishing Festival 2011 - http://www.comfishingfestival.com/home.html
Dates are 4 - 11 November 2011 and the venue (Com resort) is a significant step up from the 2009 venue. Numbers WILL be capped this year.
Jules74
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jules74 »

Ive already sent my eoi Pirate. Sean said I was first. Lol. Sad I know. But thanks for the website addy, darned if I could find it again.
Some people believe that the world is flat, carried through time on the backs of 4 elephants that are balanced on a turtle, the Great Atuin
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I will once again buy stories and pix from those who go, for running in NTMAG :mrgreen:

Harmsey did a great job last time, as well as the FFFers who posted here.

This time we need someone manning the chundercam :-)

Or will people have wised up and be taking a week's supply of baked beans?
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

There is a few complications for this comp at the moment so i will not let you all in on what i know just yet. My little sister lives over there and is helping out with a few things. Sure to be a big event though so make sure you email Sean if you are interested as international participant numbers are set. Heading over myself with Jules74 and a few others :) Thank gosh for little sisters with charter boats :D I don't think any one will be put in dugout canoes this time either.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

JewieQueen wrote:There is a few complications for this comp at the moment so i will not let you all in on what i know just yet. My little sister lives over there and is helping out with a few things. Sure to be a big event though so make sure you email Sean if you are interested as international participant numbers are set. Heading over myself with Jules74 and a few others :) Thank gosh for little sisters with charter boats :D I don't think any one will be put in dugout canoes this time either.
:? Complications surely not. It ran so smoothly last time. :lol: :lol:
stuart
Seadog
Seadog

Post by stuart »

anyone know if that travel agency at winnellie is doing packages?
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Wish I could go but I have to watch the grass grow and the paint dry....

Good luck if you do go... Pauly pirate I gather your going as a competitor this time as I heard that ntg is not helping this time??
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Sowhatdayareckon Bretto? Keen or what? :twisted: I know theres a marlin over there with your name on it!!!! :naughty:

Gormet tucker this time! :chef1: :rofl:

Maybe its the massocist in me, but I'm thinking about it. I reckon the place has potential for good fishing. If nothing else, it will be a good pissup! :cheers: Going totry to organise a boat before I go, no dugouts for me! :fu:
Aaron G
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Aaron G »

Saw this fishing pic in the locol Dili Paper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty Hook
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rusty Hook »

COM is a fair drive from Dili, bout 4 hours east but is a really nice little resort with good food. Gotta love those banana pancakes. Helps digest the chicken rice lol
Last edited by Rusty Hook on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.