New Guy

King Carlos
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

New Guy

Post by King Carlos »

Hi Ladies and Gents
Always had a passion for fishing just don't get the time. Now I'm making the time.

I live on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. Love chasing a spotted mack or two, Snapper and get into the rivers for some bream and flathead. Can anyone tell the do's anddont's for marine gps? Thers a gazillion to chose from :banghead:

2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

first up welcome to the FFF ...it's a great place :grin:

as for GPS's...... what is your budget and what do you want to put it into.. it realy does come down to $$$ then work from there :mrgreen:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

welcome to the forum king carlos, it will be good to read some reports from your neck of the woods. as rods said it comes down to money for a gps but i have a garmin etrex handheld that is very user friendly and if you are not boat mounting and just want to punch in the coordinates i think they are great and cheap to buy :mrgreen:
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
King Carlos
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by King Carlos »

SMITHY wrote:welcome to the forum king carlos, it will be good to read some reports from your neck of the woods. as rods said it comes down to money for a gps but i have a garmin etrex handheld that is very user friendly and if you are not boat mounting and just want to punch in the coordinates i think they are great and cheap to buy :mrgreen:
Thanks Smithy,

I was warned off hand helds a long time ago because of their innaccuracy. Has that changed?
landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by landlocked »

g,day KC i have an old garmin 72 handheld and i find it pretty accurate.
you can pick them up for under $300. cheers
From the heart of the channel country.
To be old and wise, one has to have been young and stupid !!!
King Carlos
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by King Carlos »

landlocked wrote:g,day KC i have an old garmin 72 handheld and i find it pretty accurate.
you can pick them up for under $300. cheers
Thanks. I'll definately look into it
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Handhelds are plenty accurate. I got Garmin GPS12 that I use all the time in the car and in the boat. Cost me around $100 off ebay in perfect condition.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

Hi King Carlos I left the Sunny Coast 4 years ago to go round Aus got to Darwin 8 months later and still have not left.
I had and still have a Lowrance Globalnav 212 handheld had it switched on for every Km travelled in the Troopy and walked hundreds of Km around Cape York etc on the way here and always got back to camp, for versatilty you can't go wrong.
I have used Etrex's and Garmin GPS12 as well and both are pretty user friendly.
And you can always slip it in your pocket and mark your mates good spots when you go fishing with them haha.
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
King Carlos
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by King Carlos »

Thanks for all the help gents. I'll look into hand helds now also. Sounds like Garmin make a good product
King Carlos
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by King Carlos »

Billster wrote:Hi King Carlos I left the Sunny Coast 4 years ago to go round Aus got to Darwin 8 months later and still have not left.
I had and still have a Lowrance Globalnav 212 handheld had it switched on for every Km travelled in the Troopy and walked hundreds of Km around Cape York etc on the way here and always got back to camp, for versatilty you can't go wrong.
I have used Etrex's and Garmin GPS12 as well and both are pretty user friendly.
And you can always slip it in your pocket and mark your mates good spots when you go fishing with them haha.
Hi Billster, where on the Sunny Coast were you from? Did you river fish or get outside? If you've got any advice on locations or tips on rigs I'd love to hear them. (hope thats not incorrect fishing etiquet :bonk:

Return to “Hi or Bye”