Gday from new FNQ Member

bigalReddas
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gday from new FNQ Member

Post by bigalReddas »

Gday, my name is Allan, Im a fairly keen fisho, just got back from 20 days down at Shady Camp. Finally got my 1st metre Barra :mrgreen:
Looked like a whale when it jumped the 1st time, my legs went to jelly, but managed to keep my senses, got her in after a good blue, really tested me out ! Got afew other goodies as well, tough fishing this year, bit like last year.
I live in Ingham & fish the Hinchinbrook Chanel mainly.
I saw quite a few of you blokes around the place & met Gibbo from Howard Springs, top bloke, along with his mate from Wagga.
I was fishing in a Stabicraft with solar panels as the bimini, some may have seen my mate & me, anyway, glad to be on board !! :drinking1:

Keen fisherman, bluesman
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Welcome aboard - great to have someone from the Hinchinbrook area on the forum - what a magnificent place that is. Fishing is still good too from what I gather, although I have not fished there since 2003.

Well done with the metre fish. Shame you don't have lots of metre fish in the Hinchinbrook Channel - but then if you did, everyone would be there. :mrgreen:
bigalReddas
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks Matt

Post by bigalReddas »

It is a great place to fish, there are a few metre Barras over here, a mate pulled 2 last year, 118 & Ithink 108. He fishes at night with livies, I prefer lures. I haven't yet been introduced to a Hinchinbrook Horse, still trying.

THe fishing has got a lot better in the chanel since the netters were banned
but there is talk of allowing them back :evil: , just when things are getting better.
I don't see the logic myself. it's crazy. The ammount of money brought
into the Far North by fishos is huge, not to mention the tourist fisherman, bringing back pro netters is one sure way to kill all of that.

Thanks for your welcome Matt, I'll try & report on the fishing often,
Cheers :cheers:
Keen fisherman, bluesman
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Would be nice if there was a bit of data available taken before and after such net bans to show how effective they are. I would be keen to hear any anecdotal information.

In the NT we have some places where we would probably be better off without gill nets.

In 2003 when I visited Hinchinbrook the Lucinda caravan park was overflowing with people and everyone was fishing. There was a lot of concern about fishing pressure.

One thing the GBRMPA zones have done on the East Coast has closed a few creek mouths and other areas to netting - I doubt this ever would have happened under state government law.