Fundraising

bigphil16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fundraising

Post by bigphil16 »

G'day guys it has been a while since posting on here, about 3 years after moving to Adelaide from Darwin. I have a short story to tell about my son Cadel, 3, and then my reason for posting.

Cadel was born in Darwin in September 2007 and was 8 weeks early. A couple of weeks later he got bacterial meningistis and spent a week in intensive care and on a ventilator, this was a very dark time and we thought that we were going to lose him. Being the fighter that he is he pulled through and went home about 7 weeks later.

After being home for two weeks we were told Cadel had hydrocephalus (same thing BC had about the same time). We flew to Adelaide and Cadel had a shunt insterted. We spent about two weeks down there. After coming back to Darwin we mde the difficult decision to move to Adelaide for Cadel's well being.

The next 12 months was a horror year to say the least. In his 1st 12 months Cadel spent 6 months in hospital due to complications with his shunt and had 16 separate brian surgeries in that time, at the end of it all he finished with 4 shunts and his 1st Easter, birthday and hawks GF win all in hospital. The GF was in intensive care and very difficult not to scream and shout when your boys are about to win the flag!

Cadel still has 4 shunts but he also has cerebral palsy and can't walk or talk and he also has poorly controlled siezures.

The reason I am telling all of this is that my wife Sam and I are raising money for Nuerosurgical Reasearch Foundation. We are running in the City to Bay (Adelaide) as a family and have a target of $5000, if this is met I will be running dressed as a ballerina. We have had an amazing response so far raising $2700 in 2 weeks. The run is in sept and I have a bucket load of weight to drop before then (currently at 120 kg). Photos will be posted of course.

If you can spare a few bucks that would be great, if not then that is cool. It is all tax deductible, and is a very worthy cause. I thank you for taking the time to read my very long post.

You can read more and donate at the below link

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/teamcadel

and we have a blog where you can find out a bit more about us, keep an eye on our progress and learn more about the fantastic foundation we are fundraising for http://teamcadel.blogspot.com/.

Thanks again for your time
Phil, Sam and Cadel

luke79
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Fundraising

Post by luke79 »

I couldnt not help out, $50 on the way from me.
Cheers
Luke.
bigphil16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bigphil16 »

WOW, thanks heaps Luke, mate way too generous. There are some bl..dy good people out there and you happen to be one of them.

Thanks again
Phil
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Domation on its way mate.

Sounds like its been a hard road with no end in sight any time soon. Hang in there guys and good luck in the run.

Say hi to the young fella.
Last edited by Mr RiverBabe on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

Donation made good luck to you all!
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
rumjungle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumjungle »

Donation made from Rumjungle and family.
bigphil16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bigphil16 »

RB, muntzy and rum, it is very humbling that you have all donated and of course greatly appreciated. The response from FFFers so far has been more than I could have ever expected. It has certainly restored by faith in mankind that people would hand over their hard earned (and significant amounts at that) for a cause that does not affect them personally.

thanks again
Bigphil
bigphil16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bigphil16 »

Sorry about the lateness of my reply. Many thanks to the fff members that donated money. With the help of you guys we were able to raise $6000 for the NRF foundation which is just a mind blowing amount. It was certainly a very interesting run. Apparently I inspired many people that day, every time I overtook someone on the run they would say 'come on we can't have the fat fairy beat us' and off they would go. I have tired to attach a couple of photos, hopefully they worked.

Again many thanks for the support and to the FFF forum for allowing me to post the fundraising request on here.

Tight lines
Bigphil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hi or Bye”