SHADY CAMPING

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Settlersjoy
Silver Member
Silver Member

SHADY CAMPING

Post by Settlersjoy »

hey all. Ive managed to book a week off next week. Damn i need it too! I have a question regarding shady camp. Ive been stuck there before and wont ever be stuck there again lol. Im looking to do an over nighter in the boat. Will this be possible after the neap tides? I want to be able to fish the low tide there. And do i need to go to the mouth to be safe? crocs man, lots of crocs. I have a 4.5 metre boat. plenty of room. Ill be fishing many spots. daly, shady, coroborree maybe shoal bay. Any tips on where to go and when will be super helpfull. im feeling Corroboree when the tides get bigger. Last time i fished shady on the lower tide it looked great!!!! drains everywhere amd we lost two stonker fish.

ryanfazz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: SHADY CAMPING

Post by ryanfazz »

Ive always just anchored up in tommycut for the night, alot quieter, better wind protection. Its only an extra 10-15 minute cruise from the mouth of shady, always an option.
Settlersjoy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Settlersjoy »

Do you still use your lights whilst u are anchored up? I'm worried of attracting the attention of crocs. Also how to do u find the bugs this time of year?
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Red lights won't attract many bugs, anyone else out there will still see you
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Settlersjoy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Settlersjoy »

Thanks. I'll go get some red lights during the week. Also looking for a Daly river guide. Anyone who wants to come fishing during next week hit me up :) we can come up with a plan and try get one of these money Barra :)
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Make sure that you have your anchor light on as well (ive nearly been hit a few times by people who aren’t looking out)
Get a couple of Thermacell mozzie repellents – they work really well and you will need them

Be really croc wise and dont take a dump over the back (like i used to) - just asking for strife
ryanfazz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ryanfazz »

Yep +1 for the thermocell, sleep with the nav lights on incase another boat doesnt see you until its too late, and dont chuck food scraps overboard after dinner.
Settlersjoy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Settlersjoy »

Lol! Talk about snapping one off
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Settlersjoy wrote:Do you still use your lights whilst u are anchored up? I'm worried of attracting the attention of crocs. Also how to do u find the bugs this time of year?
Make sure you have your all round anchor light lit up at all times overnight. Nav lights aren't enough, you cant see them from all angles. I'm sick of nearly hitting boofheads who wait till the last minute before turning on the anchor light.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

too true re people not watching where they are going at night.
i always use my all around anchor light but....
I recently bought a high intensity strobe light that i zip tie to a 2m pole. it flashes red then white every 3 seconds
about $45 from Nautical supplies Dinah bch.
worked all night on a single battery
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

I might look at getting one of those Nomad and tying it to my 2 way aerial at night
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

I would be surprised if other boats wouldn't be there at the mouth resting. . You noticed I used the term resting as unless you consume 700ml of you favourite spirit a heavy sleep is not possible. Tommy cut can be difficult to come back from at night, there is usually a sea breease. and we have always found the mossies a bit more at tommy unless you park right out the front and then the sea breese gets u we have either trolled all night or gone right out the front and anchored if the mossies are bad.
tight lines
Chubbs93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chubbs93 »

If your really keen can always anchor up on reef out front mate, no mosquitos plus added bonus of golds and jews not that far out i wind picks up can just find shelter in creek
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

ryanfazz wrote:Yep +1 for the thermocell, sleep with the nav lights on incase another boat doesnt see you until its too late, and dont chuck food scraps overboard after dinner.
Plus 2 on the Thermacells. If you have two of these on board (one front and one rear of boat) you don't have to worry about mozzies or sand flies. These are gold, you won't here a mozzie all night... Well at least not until the 8 hour gas cylinders run out and need changing... And trust me you'll know when they run out!!! All the best with the trip. :D
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Set up a thermacell under our camp table out at kakadu lodge. Mozzies werent thick but they were there around sun up and we were still getting bitten with it less than a metre away :o , not convinced but will put it to the test again in a few weeks time at Shady,fingers crossed for a better result!! :roll: (maybe i didnt have enough beer in the system).
Might grab another and run a set up like you suggest ONCE BITTEN and see if that works better.
Edo