Sandy Creek - Arnhemland

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sandy Creek - Arnhemland

Post by Travis »

G'day All,

Am heading out to Sandy creek in Arnhemland for 5 days fishing next week. Will be my forth trip out there and have done very well on each occasion mainly on pelagics (Mack's, Trevally, Tuna, etc) but haven't set the world on fire in the bottom fishing stakes. Just wondering if anyone has fished the area or have any info that they wouldn't mind parting with, particularly any reefs, etc around Simms or Sth Goulburn Islands. Found a very deep hole near Simms Island last trip which we pulled some good Red fish out of but have heard stories of Red Emperor and big Goldies in that area that obviously have me very interested. Have done a bit of exploring around Sth Goulburn on the last trip without finding much, but were seriously limited to how much fuel we were willing to use doing this as we only have so much to last the 5 days. Definitely goin' to have a good look for barra at the creeks to the east of Sandy as well as Sandy itself doesn't hold many barra at all. Any info would be much appreciated and I'll be posting a report when I get back.

Cheers,
Travis

Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Hey Travis, sounds like a mysterious location. Can ya take a few photo's the area. would dig to see them :clap:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

No worries BarraBeast, my brother should have his digital so I will try to post some pic's after I get back on the 6th Oct. Sandy Creek is about 20k's West of Sth Goulburn Island. Quite a few shallow coral reefs (some that dry at low) very close by with Coral Trout and the usual suspects available casting B52's etc over them, and hoards of Trevally, Mack's and Tuna patrolling the edges and current lines around them. Have had a ball catching these things on all of my previous trips, but have failed thus far to try and find some better and deeper reefs for bottom bashing but will be doing some more expolring this trip in the hope that we can get into some Red Emperor or Big Goldies!!!

Cheers,
Travis
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

sandy creeks

Post by chanos »

If this is the same sandy creeks, on the way to cobourg? that I have been to, what a beautiful place eh.

chanos.
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
Dan Trouw
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: sandy creeks

Post by Dan Trouw »

chanos wrote:If this is the same sandy creeks, on the way to cobourg? that I have been to, what a beautiful place eh.

chanos.
G'day Chanos Travis has aksed i reply as he is unable to get to computer at the moment, it is the Sandy Creek about 50kms up the coburg road on the right hand side, And then about 15 kms in to the coast. Normally i would be going but staffing issues and jury duty have stuffed everything up, absoulty sensational place to go, its hard to beleive the water clarity and coral just like the barrier reef, and of course lots fish. Did you have any success when you when you were there, travis will be doing alot of exploring looking for tasty reef fish. Any knowledge of the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan & Travis
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

sandy ck

Post by chanos »

We didnt get offshore as was blowing too hard but just relaxed fishing the creeks. Camped on bank of lagood at sandy 2 under casuarinas. Lived on crabs, oysters and fish for a week :grin: Not many barra there for some reason but lots of jacks in both creeks. Sandy 1 looks good at mouth but we didnt fish it much eh. Beautiful place.

chanos.
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
Dan Trouw
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dan Trouw »

Thanks chanos, we camped in approximatley the same spot, been their three times first two times no wind the third it blew its ring out :surf: from 11am until midnight. We have found a few barra in there but only just legal, as you said lots of jacks. Right where you where getting your oysters etc, the deep whole in the mouth is a good spot jigged up some jewies on chrome slices, cuaght plenty of snapper and jacks also on bait. Also had fun on schools of trevelly and queenfish just drifiting back in with the current casing poppers, all within 200metres of camp. But when you can get out the front on to the coral, great trout, macks, tuna and all the other associated fish you would ecpect.

Dan :smile:
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

Fished Sandy Creek and out around Simms and Sth Goulburn Islands all last week. Camped at the mouth of Sandy with 2 boats and 4 Blokes (including myself). Had a great time camping and fishing but the fishing was made very uncomforable due to strong winds and some bl..dy rough seas. The 1.5m swell was up and peaked with white caps by about 9-10am onwards every day.

Still managed to catch plenty of big tuna (8-10kg) as well as mack's, trevelly, coral trout and other reefies on lures and jigs each day out around the coral bombies, headlands and islands. Then when the pounding and spray got to much we'd slip up one of the creeks and have a ball with swarms of pan sized jack's, goldies and cod on lures or pillies.

Took six crab pots and 1st pull on day 1 resulted in 12 keepers and 4 throw backs!!! Took it very easy on the crabs for the rest of the trip so as to not completely rape the joint, just got enough for 3 hungry blokes (my brother's a bit weird and doesn't eat them!). Was very tough having to eat a muddie for lunch everyday and again as an entree every night :grin: .

My personal highlights for the trip included putting my dad onto a monsterous Longtail Tuna (approx 12kg) and seeing him land it on barra gear after about 30mins of swearing and trying not to get spooled or thrown out of the boat by the swell. Getting my biggest ever coral trout (56cm) and getting a 15kg+ Mac all the way into the boat on my barra rod and a maribu jig (hook pulled right at the boat) :evil: but good fun anyway although I'm sure my calcutta didn't enjoy it as much.

Will see if I can get my Brother's digital camera to post some photo's.

Cheers,
Travis
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

hey travis i think we may of crossed paths on my way to cobourg was that you guys pulled up just on the edge of the creek havin a beer. we had 3 cars and 3 boat in tow. i was in a silver 80 series!! stopped and had a chat to a crew just leaving sandy creek??? was that you guys.????
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

G'day Harmsey,

No wasn't me mate, we pulled out on friday mid morning and drove straight through to Cahill's before we stopped for a beer. 2 White Hilux's with boats in tow. How did ya go up at Coburg?

Cheers,
Travis
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

went up saturday morning as these blokes were leaving sandy and had a ball :cheers: check out the report in the bluewater section

cheers harmsey