Lorella Springs....

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Brad the Lad
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Lorella Springs....

Post by Brad the Lad »

im heading there in a few weeks and would to hear a report or some information. cheers.

fishing and beers,

wonder what the poor people are up to!!!
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

well i got back yesterday, the fishing was very slow to say the least. The wind keep me in the creeks which i always knew was going to be an issue. I hit a few of the billabongs around the homestead for nil. I seen water temps down to 18 degs at the secrect fishing spot, rosies was a little warmer and the queen fish were thick up to a meter if you can brave the rock bars. So many of them!

If you packing a quad bike you be able to get to a certain spot out past rosies. The creek was packed with jacks, i was just tea bagging them out of the mangroves! Needs to be done on a set of neaps as the flats out the back of the creek fill up with water and they wont recover you out there.

Another thing worth doing is going for a chopper flight. I've got my own flying contraption but he'll take you to some very special places! He also does heli fishing. He took a group out to a couple of his spots and got 20 barra when no one else could. The wind prevented me for flying myself down to them unfortunately.

If your only land based fishing rosies is the best. Big rooster poopers through out the day would get the queenies firing but best on dawn and dusk.

I had an absolute ball down there even tho the fishing was slow. Beautiful part of the country!
I just wish i had more fishing photos for you guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Nice work mate looks awesome. 8)

got to some places most of us only dream about. :cry:

GOOD LOOKING COUNTRY :D

:cheers:
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

qiksix wrote:thanks for the heads up mick, i cant wait to get down there. I'm taking a pretty substantial trailer in there, what are my chances of pushing this through?
Hi Mate just back from that way. We spent 2 days at the Rosie but had no boat so we camped inland as far as we could get which was the end of the tidal influence. Didn't catch any thing flogged the water to foam for 3 hits on poppers from what seemed like decent fish. They were really cautious once they had one go they didn't come back. Had a minor altercation with a croc that decided to chew up my fishing gear that I left at the bottom of the cliffs overnight so be alert they are around.

Caught some good fish to 75cm at the Towns from the bank on the way down but released them all as they were dark and green colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

Not wrong about the crocs at rosies! I was chasing them away at night on the quad bike. They meaning 4 of them with one knocking on the door of 4mt were coming right up and out of the water. Very cheeky! I must of got lucky at rosies, i would of caught 200 queeenies
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

Yes the rock bars are insane there
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

This video got me froffing.
I’m hoping to get up there late April, early May for 3 weeks. Hopefully it’s not a real late wet, and the winds are kind to me. Base my self at spot x. Can explore up to Maria island, Beatrice island. There seems to be a reef about 15 kms off sure which I’m told is only a few m deep.

https://youtu.be/C-6_zcus-7o
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

I wont be able to wait to then so im going back in the later half of September and hoping the water has warmed up and the winds are starting to drop off! Secret is defiantly easier then negotiating the rock bars of the other camp at rosies.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I have a 5.6 m stabicraft, I may boat down to the mouth, butafter seeing the videos, I like my prop too much to launch at Rosie’s.

Keep us in touch with how you go in September, that video I posted, they went in August and look like they got awesome weather wind wise.
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

I doubt very much if you'll get a 5.6 stabi to the mouth of rosies. Even on the big springs (2.5mt) which they consider big would only leave you maybe 1mt of water in some spots. I was out and pushing my little 385 in spots! That Ariel shot i put up is the mouth of the secret fishing spot, (creek to the left of shot) it's shallow for a long way, you'll only be getting out and back on high tides but it's do able.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I meant launching at spot x and drive Dow to the mouth of rossie. Did you go out the mouth of rossie? Looks quite reefie on google earth.
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

I got down there twice mick but the wind stoped me just back from the mouth. I was like a washing machine. The creek to the west of the mouth of rosies is by far the best, i got there by quad bike. Its deep and it's right on the beach. When i go back in september with a couple of others i might have a crack at getting there. It would defiantly be worth pulling in if your scooting past in the boat. 22km on the knocker from secret.