Leaders Creek/Vernon Islands

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Dyksy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Leaders Creek/Vernon Islands

Post by Dyksy »

Morning all,

Hitting the water this weekend with the neaps.
Going to head out to Leaders creek,will be in a 4.25m tinny with GPS.
Just after some info Gunn Point Rd condition?
And any advice of fishing for Jewies, Barra,Golides and mud crabs for the area.

Any info will be appriciated.

Cheers

Dyksy

2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Leaders Creek/Vernon Islands

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

ive got a few jew from leaders in the past but only on big tides, fishing between the 2 creeks at the mouth.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

If it's calm on these tides there should be a bit of color change right at the mouth - troll that for barra and salmon at the turn of the low. Troll the outside of the first two bends inside the creek with shallow/meduim barra lures on the first half of the incoming tide. Fish the tops of any side creeks for Jacks and Cod. Fishing baits for Jew only seems to work at night or or the turn of spring tides for me. Live baits fished in a meter or so of water in the first 500m of creek are a good chance of picking up a good barra. Dont expect heaps of crabs - usually pull just enough for a feed from leaders
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

There's a fishing comp on this weekend covering the mouth of the Adelaide, SWA and Leaders so expect it to be busier than usual.
BigBlue

Post by BigBlue »

That's a shame. I was hoping to spend the weekend smashing the mouth of the Adelaide myself this weekend. Mmmmmmm. Any other suggestions for these neaps.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

BigBlue wrote:That's a shame. I was hoping to spend the weekend smashing the mouth of the Adelaide myself this weekend. Mmmmmmm. Any other suggestions for these neaps.
North Gutter? The wind will be quiet, I'm busy myself but trying to weasel a trip out that way.

Maybe even the channels around the vernons, good tides for that and the Barra blokes wont be out there looking for fish.
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

Went to salt water arm on 26 Aug and went up wiltshires. Start of neaps but water was dirty. Didn't see a single bait fish, follow, bust up or anything that even hinted a barra was anywhere nearby. A better fisherman than me went the Neaps prior and told me not to waste my time due to lack of bait. I ignored and I only managed a blue salmon and a thousand Powertail when I resorted to bait.

On the good side Gunn point road was really smooth, could go as fast as I wanted, barely a corregation.

Pro crabbers had a pot every 50 m up the little creek before the wiltshires.

Wiltshire 3 had these floats every few hundred meters . What are they Fish tag counting devices?
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

These floats.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

They are pro crab pots. Used by the second licence holder fishing the same area. The first float takes the water pressure and the second one will still be above the surface in the bigger tides. Most of the other pros put there pot floats in trees so they dont lose them. This guy uses this method.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

I'm thinking about a trip out to the Vernons this set of neaps as well. I've never really fished it.

I'm keen to try and jig up some Mackies if they're still about. Can anyone tell me general areas to target? Just look for birds or troll around until I see fish on the sounder? I will be fishing the low/incoming on dead neaps.

Any tips for other species appreciated as well. I'll be fishing lures only, no bait. Cheers, Scotty.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Scotty, there are some good reefs with steep drops the North side of NW Vernon for pelagics. I dont have my map book with me but "Smith" rings a bell. If you hook a fish, get it in fast. Sharks can be bad.

Also, any of the shallow edges of the Vernons will produce mixed reef fish. I have a goldy spot that doesnt produce many fish but they all seem to be mid 50's+ and that's in 4m of water. Coming into prime time of year for them too