Has anyone hired a boat?

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
got-none
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Has anyone hired a boat?

Post by got-none »

Just seeing there's a new bloke in the mix hiring out a big stabicraft got me thinking how many people have hired a boat and have had a good or bad time in doing so? Is it like hiring a jetski in Thailand where you get accused of damage you didn't do or has it been a good experience etc?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein-
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Has anyone hired a boat?

Post by goldfish »

When I was still an apprentice we used to hire the tinnies at coroboree a fair bit. To show the visiting tourists a lap of the lagoon, catch a few barra n toga see a heap of crocs n buffalo and possibly the odd pig..
Back then it was run by Knobby they were always clean, fully fueled up, had a net, no waiting and a good day out. Only incident we had was a time we pulled up at the S bends and I asked my punter mate from Victoria to chuck the anchor in.

He hoiked it out but the previous hirer had undone the rope from it possibly to tow it behind a houseboat.

It went straight to the bottom in 8m and he looked at me with the end of the rope in his hand saying "shouldn't this be on it too" I mumbled a few choice swearwords and hunted throgh the pile of stuff in the front. I found a reef pic as a backup and tied it on it was windy as buggery that arvo n it wouldn't hold bottom so we were slow drift fishing and trolling for the rest of the trip.

We got a few up to 84 cm from memory but had to keep driving up and re anchoring every 15 min until the wind dropped off.

This was the only drama i ever had out there in the 20 plus times we hired them. We used to get there at 2 and arrange to drop them off about 10pm no towing no launching no hassles.

We still pay out on Andy my mate from Victoria and tell him to make sure the rope is on it when he goes to drop anchor nearly 20 years later. .......
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
qrwat
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by qrwat »

I've used Hooked-Up 6-8 times in the last couple of years and have found every interaction pleasant and easy. The last time (3 days in October last year) we found the boat was getting a little tired and you could see some of the issues that I'm sure the owner has to deal with when hiring it out to people who aren't necessarily interested in looking after their gear or particularly familiar with boats...

We have even hired them a couple of times with my mate who has a 3.9 Quintrex Hornet. His boat is fine in the creeks of Bynoe etc but feels a little close to nature on the longer trips and amongst some of the big snapping handbags in the Mary system

Would love my own boat but I don't get the chance to get out often enough to get it past the Minister for War and Finance...
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

goldfish wrote: We got a few up to 84 cm from memory but had to keep driving up and re anchoring every 15 min until the wind dropped off.

We still pay out on Andy my mate from Victoria and tell him to make sure the rope is on it when he goes to drop anchor nearly 20 years later. .......
Wow, you must have a memory of an elephant, to remember the exact size of a fish, 20 years later. I struggle to remember last year.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I have seen that big stabicraft around. He advertises it as walk on walk of, launching, towing etc all included. Not sure how that would go from Dundee. Guess that boats big enough to comfortabley drive around I guess. Plus if you don't have a car to tow a larger boat, that adds a big expense to buying a boat.
It would be good value if you are doing a flat top banks trip or something.

Say if you did 10 hours in a big days fishing. I get my boat serviced every 100 hrs, and on average cost 1000 bucks. Plus every now and then you will have a much larger cost, (eg, my ecu died last year, cost $1500, plus 1500 trying to fix other things the ecu was indercating there was problems with)
So I would say it would cost $11 to $12/ hour for maintenance cost conservatively..... so there's $120

deprecation cost, say on average a boat cost $50 new, you would probably sell it 5 years later for 25k, so 5k a year. I think you are doing pretty good to do 100 hours a year, so that would be $50 per hour.

So that makes ya big trip worth 620 in cost.

Or you could look at it another way, if it cost you 6 k a year to own a boat, then you could hire that big ares stabi 10 days a year, and you get a big arse 100k + boat, or 20 + hires of the 5 m hooked up type boats.

They why does anyone own a boat, convenience, plus you don't tent to look at the actual cost of owning a boat as it hurts too much.
It will hurt if you do a prop or loose an anchor, but that's the same if you own a boat or hire it. Scratching it is a little different, but the hooked up mob seem realistic with this. And if that stabi boat is walk on walk off, it takes a lot of the risk out of getting it on and off the trailer.

Sometimes I think a drug habit would be cheaper haha
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Chop it up Mickkk :smoking:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
sanigav
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sanigav »

cool story gold fish, perhaps you could look up an 84cm barra on google images in order to make it more legit.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Photo of golffishes 84, photo is a bit poor, but it's a 20 year old photo. Maybe this is how the got his forum name
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

mickkk wrote:
goldfish wrote: We got a few up to 84 cm from memory but had to keep driving up and re anchoring every 15 min until the wind dropped off.

Wow, you must have a memory of an elephant, to remember the exact size of a fish, 20 years later. I struggle to remember last year.
That's why he got my vote for best story teller.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Yeah the stabi looks great
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Go f..k yourself you bunch of [email protected]

I remember it cos he got his pb which was the best one we caught that day...and the anchor bit is 100% true.

if you don't believe me I couldn't care less

Not sure who's running the Mary river houseboats now or what the prices are......
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

goldfish wrote:Go f..k yourself you bunch of [email protected]

I remember it cos he got his pb which was the best one we caught that day...and the anchor bit is 100% true.

if you don't believe me I couldn't care less

Not sure who's running the Mary river houseboats now or what the prices are......
I think you just answered ya question " what's best bait on forum " gut hooked goldfish
got-none
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by got-none »

That escalated quickly blowfish
Not real bright calling a group of blokes names
Sure you've been caught telling a tall tale so naturally you would expect to cop some flack about it but you don't have to fly off the handle about it
This is a family forum :angel:
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein-
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Get matt to delete it as I can't edit it once someone else has replied.

apologies to the women n children that read the post..
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Is that both of you goldfish?