Fishin with Kids

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fishin with Kids

Post by BEAR »

Gday all,
I am guessing that a few people on here have young kids and just wondering how they keep them entertained while out in the boat without thrashing the boat(my daughters not happy unless I'm going flat out) or sacraficing to much fishing time of your own(I hope that doesn't sound to selfish). I was thinking that tying just a sinker on the end of her line so she thinks she's fishing :twisted: but I think she would clue onto that to quick :| or maybe just rigging a very light line up for her to catch my live bait :catch: might be a better way. She's 3 in feb and loves fishing and I would love to keep her involved but if she's not happy no-one can be happy :banghead:
help!

BEAR

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Lollies, don't leave home without them.

Break the day up between fishing and some other activity ( we tow the ski biscuit and go for a swim on the lake to have a break from fishing)

Keep the boat as cool as possible, fish in the shade where possible.

Be prepared to move if fishing gets a bit quiet, in fact with the pressure on to provide a steady stream of bites for your children you tend to work a bit harder for results and at the end of the day that can mean more fish to the boat.

One last thing, be prepared to shorten up the time of your fishing trips with kids. Too long out can knock them about a bit.
Regards Dick
Glenn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Glenn »

A mate of mine in Broome used to take his two young daughters fishing a fair bit. As is generaly the case, one loved it and the other was never that interested. The un-interested one was generally happy enough to read or play her computer games. Ross just maid sure there was plenty of shade, juice and conversation. Even though she wasn't fishing she still felt a part of what was happening.

The other, mad keen one was as you'd expect. All over the boat getting into everything and easily bored if the bite went quiet. She had her own light gear and often did as well (in quantity) as anyone else on the boat. Ross deliberately steered her away from softdrink and lollies too. When it got quiet he would give her challenges and rewards. My favourite one was (and we would get into this one on Sailfishing trips etc):

Get a small ball sinker and a teaspoon. Hold the spoon in your mouth, put the sinker in the spoon and then stand on one leg. The objective was to keep the sinker in the spoon in your mouth by maintaining your balance on one foot. Pretty tricky, even on calm water.

She turned out to be quite a good little gymnast

Ross still had his nightmare days with the girls. He tried to make them feel like they were a part of a team by giving them specific jobs. This generally kept the peace long enough for him to do some fishing.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, Whopper in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!!!
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Most of it?s already been mentioned;
Give the little ones a job, makes them feel part of the whole deal.
Keep them out of the sun.
Keep them fed and watered.
Give them their own rod, reel and most important?. their own tackle box!
Keep them casting, boredom sets in real quick when trolling, unless you?re slaying them of course!
Have the stand-by entertainment, books, colouring pencils, a couple of toys even a gameboy. I?ve lost count how many times the kids have taken over the casting platform when the fishing goes dead. Sometimes they take a pillow so the can have a snooze if it gets all too hard!
And last but not least?keep them amongst the fish, easier said than done I know. Earlier on they didn?t give a rats whether it was a guppy or an archerfish just as long as something grabbed their lure! Now??it?s nothing but Barra, must beat Dad at all costs.

I?ve taken all of my kids out from very early ages and they loved it, now it?s a big ruckus to see who?s going and who?s missing out whenever the cover comes off the boat. (The Missus just won?t take the hint we need a bigger boat!) :banghead:

When the kids did their first few trips I took them to places like Corroboree, Hardies & Yellow Waters, joints where they were virtually guaranteed to catch a fish, keep ?em busy, keep ?em happy. We do the usual stuff to keep the boredom at bay, casting comps, yanking on the line when you see the eyelids start to droop, practice hook up yells etc etc.

On saying all that??.I?ve had some horror trips with the kids, mostly attributed to either getting hungry or too much sun. :bonk:

Once you start to take your kids out you gotta face the fact that your fishing time is going to suffer. Until they can be plonked up for?ward and left to their own devices, you usually find yourself running round like a one-armed paper hanger!

Some of my best trips have been with the kids??just seeing the look on their faces when they catch their OWN fish makes the day!
:grin: :grin: :grin:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
elkerr
Gold Member
Gold Member

My daughter

Post by elkerr »

My daughter is as keen as mustard to go fishing. I like to take her to old mans rock in east arm. She usally always gets the first hook up and even though the fish can be small, they keep her occupied. I have had some horror trips with her though, expecially when trolling. :banghead:

I think that just having a fishing trip that just caters for kids is the easiest and makes it easier to leave them at home when you want to go out for some serious stuff.

Regards Ellen Kerr
Reel women do it better
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I try and take the boys out for a fish when the weather is kind, Yhe last trip didn't go too bad with a quick stop off at the sand bar out front of cullen bay to break up the day.

I found just getting them use to the boat at home helps as well. we often just sit in there and talk about the "rules" things like don't bl..dy jump out :grin:

both boys 1 and 3 1/2 have been out in the boat since they were about 2 months old. I think the oldest boy will be ready 4 a solo trip with dad soon.
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

one trip with the boys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2RODS

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

or if you are lucky and live in Darwin you can get them to catch your bait. even got granddad to help :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2RODS

As John Wayne once said:

BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

I will try a few idea's from here for sure thanks everyone for ya input. I think my biggest problem at the moment is that I have no bimini shade so everyone is in the sun all day making it a little hot for em :bonk: I think I'll get one fitted next time I'm in Darwin may help a little :cool:
here's a few pics of my :angel: fish
elkerr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kiddie fishing

Post by elkerr »

2rods, what are you using to catch the bait in the pictures.
Regards Ellen Kerr
Reel women do it better
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Kiddie fishing

Post by 2rods »

elkerr wrote:2rods, what are you using to catch the bait in the pictures.
Regards Ellen Kerr
Just them light bait jigs from top end fishing supplies... the ones with feathers on them. :mrgreen:

2RODS

As John Wayne once said: