Cobourg Peninsula

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
borisdog

Cobourg Peninsula

Post by borisdog »

Has anyone done the drive out to the Cobourg peninsula? I'm looking at doing it in Sept or Oct next year and would appreciate any info at all, no matter how small.

Matt Flynn-
Seadog
Seadog

Cobourg

Post by Matt Flynn- »

It's a great trip. The road generally isn't too bad - just corrugated - although it is a long unsealed section from the East Alligator Crossing so make sure your trailer is set up right for the bumps. The ring road within the park at Black Point was the most corrugated part when I was there last and my dinghy actually broke the winch cable and rolled off the back of the trailer while driving the short distance from the camp to the boat ramp! It's weird looking in the rear vision mirror and seeing no boat! So always use our safety chain. The fishing there is mostly for pelagics such as queenfish and trevally in shallow water around the headlands and shallow reefs. There are also mackerel, and some barra and jacks in the creeks to the south of Port Essington. There is some reef fishing, best at night because of the shallow fairly clear water. The camp site is a bottler but I expect the cyclone last year may have left it a little bare. There are beach huts and boats for hire. All in all a great drive - be sure to book your permits early.
Matt Flynn publishes the North Australian FISH FINDER biennial fishing map book and writes a weekly fishing report for Darwin's Sunday Territorian newspaper
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Had a few trips up there. Was priviledged enough to stay at Mt Norris Bay(near Valencia island)with the locals. Cobourg is amazing, crystal clear water with coral that's better than anything I've seen on the great barrier reef. True treasure.

I've been around by mother ship from Darwin all the way to New year island and Oxley islands. If you want specific spots let me know. The road is hit and miss, call 89792891(border store) or Kakadu road report 89381121.

if you dont get the info there try Steve from the Openpelli council 89790170, 0427 790 170. he grades the actual roads. but try not to annoy him too much if you know what I mean.

if your fishing black point there's heaps to do there. see FFbook. 8-)
Last edited by BarraBeast on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

hey boris dog are you still going to cobourg in sept-october??. i am going up on the 30th of sept for 7 days. went last year at the same time and had a ball.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

been out 5-6 times, if you want specifics drop me a PM

oh this might be of use when you get there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jasonmcc »

Hey Barrabeast

Who did you stay with when you went there. Rubin and Dawn live there and they are my mates aunty and uncle. We went there two years ago and stayed at their camp site. It was bl..dy awsome. Going back there at the start of October. Got any good spots?

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Yeah I know them, I stayed with Unlce Kenny, Rose and Craig and Donna robinson. They have the shack down at the airstrip just below Copeland Island.

We had a party ad Uncle Rubins house once. what a setup, spa over looking the cliff/coastline.

great people. I was there last year repairing the huts after the cyclone went trough. there's was chunks of coral and bolders almost 1km inland!!
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "