Cape Hotham

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Cape Hotham

Post by Dave »

Gidday Everyone

I'm planning a trip Around Cape Hotham. I'm planning to overnight in the area.

Does anyone know of any good spots they are willing to share to camp overnight?

The First 2 creek going down the west coast 3 or 4 clicks look good. has anyone camped at these creeks before?

Cheers
Dave :fishy:

Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Dave
not sure where to camp mate as i havent stayed overnight out there YET but i reckon it will depend on the wind direction - i havent been over as far as ruby island yet but that might be worth a look as well. the first trip i did out there the wind was fairly strong frm the west and there were a couple of boats moored up in the area you are talking about - when we got down to the Cape the waves were HUGE so we turned around and went else where.
See my report in the blue water forum from last saturday - we cleaned up on blue salmaon and got some nice snapper just around the cape.
shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Dave last time I camped around there the creek was very good (4-5 years ago) plenty of protection and even good fishing in there as well. We went with a club and had 8-10 boats all moored in there. :sailing:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

G'day Dave,

Either of the creeks you mentioned are good for camping. Can't remember if it is the 1st or 2nd, but the best is the one has a sandy point with casuarina trees on it and the creek runs behind it for great boat mooring. Have seen heaps of croc's cruising those beaches at this time of the year so be aware that they are around. Fishing around the rock down the coast from the creeks at low tide can be awesome at times. Goldies and salmon on bait and barra on lures with the occaisional jewie chucked in. The reef extends from the rock that dries at low tide most of the way out towards ruby and can produce fish anywhere, just keep moving. Around the rock is bl..dy treacherous at low tide if you're not careful as it comes up in a big hurry in some places and is very shallow a long way around it. Sorry I can't provide waypoints but I don't have access to my GPS for the next few days as it's hunting with my bro. Going past the mouth of the Adelaide and around the cape can be fun as well :surf:

Good Luck,
Travis
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Post by Dave »

Thanks heaps Guys

Great information, Will let you know how I go.

I'm not planning on going till October.

Cheers
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Please look after the place

Post by jasonmcc »

Hey Guys

Im sure your all good guys. But can you please make sure you take all your rubbish home and any you find there as well. Its a lovely place to stay so lets not wreck it. I went over there one weekend and there was rubish everywhere under the casurina pines.

We should do a forum trip over there one day.

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Rubbish

Post by chanos »

As much as I hate to say it , there is one group of people that always leave cr.p everwhere. Thats why I have no respect for them in general and yet they seem to demand mine :fubird: He who helps himself shall be helped.

Yes it is a great spot.............. look after it eh.

chanos.
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Finaly out to Cape Hotham

Post by Dave »

Finally made it out to cape hotham on the weekend of the 15 October. Had a good look around and fished a lot of spots. Didn't get into any of the creeks to have a good look, but appeared like you would need around a 5 or 6 meter tide to get into them.
Missed out on any goldies or Jew but picked up plenty of small snapper and some good salmon.
Good trip all round worth doing again.