Accident Inlet Karumba - info appreciated

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Troy

Accident Inlet Karumba - info appreciated

Post by Troy »

G'day all,

making a big trip from Maryborough Qld to Karumba for two weeks in September. A mate (who is more a pighunter than fisho) has organised access to some good country.

We'll be camping at Accident Inlet, 30 miles north of Karumba. Taking my 4.15 sea jay and keen to have a fish between pig chasing.

Wondering if anyone has any tip for seeking out some fingermark, pelagics etc around the mouth of the river and maybe a little way out.

What kind of structure should I be looking for as I only have a basic sounder???

Any info appreciated.....

cheers

Troy

chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Structure

Post by chanos »

I dont know the area, but I would just look for some rough bottom for reefies, birds are always a good indicator for pelagics but any current lines or obvious upwellings due to bottom structure can be good for macks etc, also good again for reefies. Livies at the mouth might OK 2, depends what it all looks like I spose. I only have a basic sounder and it does me just fine.

good luck

chanos
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Accident Inlet

Post by Matt Flynn »

G Day Troy and welcome to the forum.

I just spoke to John Mondora who is a regular visitor to Accident Inlet and Karumba and he says this has been a mighty year for the area.

Accident Inlet has had some incredible grunter fishing after a few quiet years, with multiple boats having hand over fist action on big grunter at Accident Inlet.

The Inlet is well fished nowadays so look for the other boats for grunter.

For barra, fish the little drains in the inlet on the runout tide, and fish the flats edges on the run in. Look for feeding activity on the first push in of the tide.

You will have a good time there this year of Mondora is right - he says the place has not fished so well for years.
Troy

Post by Troy »

G'day guys,

thanks for the great info. I must admit that I thought that the area might have had a little less pressure than what you describe. We'll give them a good go and might even head a little further north toward the Gilbert if we have time.

Great forum, thanks again. I hope to have some post trip photos to post on here late sept.

cheers

Troy
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Karumba

Post by Matt Flynn »

Karumba sees thousands of visiting people in the dry season but most of the Gulf coast is unfished. Main overfishing problem appears only to be in the crab fishery on the NT side, although I have heard crabs at Karumba have not been too good.