.05 for NT boaters ... here we go !!!! What's next ???

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: .05 for NT boaters ... here we go !!!! What's next ???

Post by mickkk »

Where is the miss behaviour that these laws are trying to kerb. Where is the evidence that this is needed or it will change anything. Reckon Kerry packer was right, for every law they create, they should be force to remove another one. It’s simply a law for laws sake.
It will have bugger all affect on me, as I don’t drink much on the boat. There’s that many loop holes that it probably won’t affect most boaters, drinking or not.
In the mean time whilst the media is focusing on this. There’s poor shop owners sleeping in their shop on the floor, to stop breaking. 65 times in one year, I don’t know how they survive. There’s a lot they are not. They cAn not get insurance and can not afford repair bills.
It’s no wonder there is a 25 % vacancy rate on commercial property’s. One in four doors with a closed sign from.
bl..dy crazy

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Well that will do me; just strengthened the resolve to implement with that photo. That right there is your undoing. 3 pups just out of nappies with a skin full.
Game over.
Great Northern drinkers :roll:
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

That photo should have a "dramatisation" label on it. It looks staged, suspiciously like it's in someone's backyard.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

jeffish wrote:Dumb photo , yeah that will help the image . A boat full of empties and the oppose the .05 , Good work DHeads allowing that pic to go to press.
Yeah Jeff - The NT news is well known for pinching pics from facebook and I wouldn’t mind betting that’s where it originated - they have lifted many of my photos for use

Someone poop canned me for expressing an opinion. The older I get the more I reflect on the things that I used to do. These days I choose to not get p...ed and drive, car or boat.
Back in the day, it was socially acceptable to get blind drunk and drive a car but we have slowly realised that its not on anymore. No matter what they do, people will still get poop faced and drive their boat – same as they still do in their cars, and look at the resources being thrown at that - yet the toll still rises
Some people will always just buck the system no matter what the outcome

Lets get real for a minute. The consumption of grog all across the NT is a massive problem. The only way to stop grog issues is to ban grog totally but that’s impractical and will never happen

This 0.05 level issue is just going to stir the pot and will be a vote winner/loser.

There is no way it could ever be enforced like it is on Sydney Harbour.

I heard the police on radio today saying that they could only do breathos at boat ramp – sort of defeats the purpose. ie - someone can drive around p...ed all day and not have a legal problem until they return home

The grog shops have a lot to answer for.

I’m sure there are other more pressing issues but they have to start somewhere. I often wonder what the real motivations are for pollies to develop their policies. I shake my head sometimes.

If it comes down to a choice, I for one would much rather see my money spent on fixing the criminal behaviour that trying to stop drink driving on the water. I think the drink driving issue is an easier fix than curbing the crime. Neither will be fixed

I have had several friends killed by drink drivers. when it happens to you, your opinions and actions will change

I will just close by saying that if anyone ever injures me or kills one of mine when they are drunk driving, they wont have to worry about any legal implications, I will take matters into my own hands.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Where is the evidence of issues of alcohol related boating incidents ???

After a few crashes in Sydney harbour 10-15 years ago you couldn't go fishing without getting breath tested. Think I was breath tested more on a boat in the last 3-4 years before I left , than on the road in the 30 years spent in Sydney.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

The problems with Alcohol in the NT are primarily around low socio-economic indigenous people destroying their lives and their families lives through Alcohol dependence. That's where resources and policy should be targeted if they actually wan't to make a difference. This is just passing a law for the sake of having the same law as everyone else, when our boating accident stats are remarkably low. I said it before but I'll say it again, bitching on here or on Facebook won't change a thing, contact every politician you can and let them know this will cost them their job. I have contacted the Shooters, Fisher and Farmers party who seem to be in support of leaving things the way they are, if they come out in public with that opinion there will be an alternative to at least threaten to vote for.
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

Scotty69 wrote:I was told this afternoon that WA don't have breath testing for boaties, can anyone confirm. It must just be an EC thing.
Yep, spot on. W.A has no alcohol limits, but they do have boat rego and fishing licences for boat fishing too, of which i supported in W.A as that money was always invested back into fishing research and fishing infrastructure so they have really good ramps, lots of FADS and up to date bag limits and rules that adapt with the stocks because they can fund the research.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

I don't drink when I'm skippering a boat anyway but what a f@#king joke! Even the police are against it saying it will stretch already struggling police resources. Just my 2c.
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

nomad wrote:
Back in the day, it was socially acceptable to get blind drunk and drive a car but we have slowly realised that its not on anymore.

I don't know what u consider to be 'blind drunk', but I certainly don't consider .1 to disqualify me from driving safely, and .05 is just a nonense :banghead:
Anyone not capable of safley driving a car at .05 should not be driving at all - or not drinking at all. Yeak OK - let's hear everyone get stuck in about scientific research, and response times
under rigorous testing, blah , bla blah - the same rot that is peddled weekly by the tossers telling us 1.6 cups of coffee daily will kill us, 3 cups of os coffee a day is good for us, salt is bad - no salt is good, etc, etc ......
nomad wrote: No matter what they do, people will still get poop faced and drive their boat – same as they still do in their cars, and look at the resources being thrown at that - yet the toll still rises
BOOM - and there it is. So despite all the inane laws foisted upon us over the past 40/50 years, the road toll keeps rising - my logic would tell me that none of these laws have been worth a cracker.

Could it be that the road toll rises every year as a result of more cars on the road? - not rocket science ..... :banghead:
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

NT Wombat wrote: I said it before but I'll say it again, bitching on here or on Facebook won't change a thing, contact every politician you can and let them know this will cost them their job.
Yep - not that the response fills me with any confidence :-

Dear Mr .....

On behalf of the Hon Michael Gunner MLA, Chief Minister of the Northern Territory, I acknowledge receipt of your email dated 27 February 2018, in relation to the alcohol limits for boaters.

As your issue falls under the Attorney General and Justice portfolio, your correspondence has been referred to the Office of the Hon Natasha Fyles MLA for consideration.

Thank you for writing to the Chief Minister about this matter.

Yours sincerely

Srijittra (Pui) Muir I Ministerial Assistant

Office of the Hon Michael Gunner MLA I Chief Minister of the Northern Territory

Northern Territory Government of Australia

Level 5, Parliament House, Darwin NT

GPO Box 3146, Darwin NT 0801, Australia

I guess the more opposition they get bombarded with the more they may reconsider, but from what I'm hearing, it's a fait accompli.

Doesn't bode well that Higgins/CLP have fallen in line .....
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

No, of course 0.1 isnt blind drunk. Im talking about drinking all day until you could hardly walk. Blind drunk is where you stumble around, slur words etc. I've seen many people stumble off a boat and then drive home. That’s not on

Many years ago I could knock over a carton and feel like I was fine to drive – and did. (obviously I wasn’t but that’s how I felt) the laws were much different then but laws, like society, change.

I choose to be part of this society and comply with its laws.
Laws change every day and we have to comply..
Sometimes laws are just wrong, but society calls for them to be changed!

I worked with a bloke who used to drink 15 schooners every single night - and then drive home. He did it for 15 years before crashing and getting busted. In his mind he was safe.
He actually told the judge that he drove home drunk everynight without a problem. He still couldn’t see that he might have had a problem. He told the judge that drinking wasn’t his problem, just that he fell asleep and crashed. He blamed lack of sleep
He honestly didn’t appear to be any different after drinking that amount of grog. After 6 mths of riding his pushbike 25kms to work, he eventually changed his ways. He used to drink at home after that
Like I said, if/when they bring in the 0.05, it wont change the mindset until a few people get busted. I can honestly say that the only reason that I stopped drinking and driving was the possibility of getting busted. Not that it was antisocial.
Where I used to live, I wouldn’t go more than 2 weeks without getting tested. Here I've only been tested 3 times in 15 years. The odds are much less and that’s why people still drink and drive,
Every day you hear about people who have been busted high range, lose their licence and yet still keep driving. They take the risk and play the game
There was a recent case where a bloke was 0.24 (almost 5 times over the limit). He was described by different people in a range from ‘a bit tipsy right up to mongrel drunk’

Now, it doesn’t matter whether or not you think that being 0.1 is ok to drive. The law of this land we choose to live in says otherwise.

Ill bet that you would probably be safer at 0.1 than I am at 0.5 simply because I don’t drink much these days.
but if you drive while over 0.05, you are breaking the law.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Laws are supposed to reflect the community attitude.
So if the community jacks up enough, they might not bring it in.

But human nature being what it is, we all know that people are too lazy to get onto the govt to complain..

Likei said, no law is of any use unless it can be enforced. We all know that there aren’t enough coppers to enforce any change on the water – which is the bottom line here
So the only option they will have is to test you AFTER you return which defeats the purpose of preventing people fron being drunk while in charge of a boat. That will be a revenue raiser at its worst.
It would be like having a copper at your gate to test you as you have driven all the way home. Defeats the purpose
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

A mate of mine in Darwin made an interesting point today about the alcohol floor price. He said that if grog is made expensive and more people can't afford the alcohol they "need", then there will be more crime. He might have a point.

But doing nothing is not an option either.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Slightly off topic :roll: - but not so much :naughty: :-

Here's the latest example of the insanity we endure these days from 'them' - whoever 'they' are ???

Ol Mate on the radio yesterday from Bycycle Qld (or some such?) demanding a law change whereby ANY accident between car & bycyle
be deemed to be the fault of the motorist - irregardless of 'real' circumstances :? :?

Where do these people come from, and on what planet do they live :bs:
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

So .... if they are testing at the ramp you could simply drive past and quickly deploy the anchor and you're safe as houses?. LOL.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.