Is Darwin's itinerant problem changing?

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

Is Darwin's itinerant problem changing?

Getting worse
74%
About the same
24%
Getting better
2%

Total votes: 66

SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Is Darwin's itinerant problem changing?

Post by SMITHY »

it has really gotten out of control over the last few years, i mean gone are the days when they would ask for 2 dollars and you would say only if ya got change for a hundred. dont try that any more cause they doooo LOL. seriously though it comes down to the courts not the police as they keep catching the same people over and over again and nothing happens. what should happen is 2 strikes and your out, out of town and dragged back to where ya came from and banned from leaving for 1 year. same goes for the cockheads on mitchell street, 2 drunk and disorderleys and banned from any licenced venue for 1 year. if they can register us for takeaway it aint that hard to scan finger prints on a machine as you enter and if you are banned out ya go and 2 months hard labour cleaning up the poop and rubbish etc left behind on our city streets. i dont think the govt would have the balls to try this as they may upset some minority groups so to farkin bad for the rest of society

They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
saltpeter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltpeter »

this isnt really a fishing topic but im glad you asked!
Im not affiliated with any political party or religious group so here goes..........
Why is it:
The unemployed of all types, colours and creeds are able to spend their government money on alcohol, smokes and the TAB, are these items really required for health or survival?
why is it:
Muslim countries (populations in the tens or hundreds of millions) can make a permit for alcohol purchace work and yet we have unemployed alcoholics laying on the street surrounded by emptys?
Why is it:
Employment stats claim we have a very low rate if unemployment yet we have thousands, yes thousands of persons physically capable of working who dont, and are not counted as unemployed but as invalids incapable of working due to their race, residencial address or education levels?
why is it:
As voters we can rightly question almost everything the government does, or spends money on but if questions such as these are asked they are viewed by a large segment of the population, (mainly people living nowhere near the areas affected by the issues) as a racist rant?
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

Katherine, Tennant creek and Alice Springs have been copping it for years
Darwin is just starting to catch up to the regional centres.
BarraMack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BarraMack »

I've lived up here since 1979. I always remember Katherine as having an obvious problem (along the main drag through town), but I don't think Darwin's problems really started until the late 90's. Even then, things didn't get bad until the last several years. Sad to say, I'm almost completely desensitized to seeing them bashing the poop out of each other, passed out in the middle of the street at 10am, or openly defecating in public view.

What's even more sad is that the negative impression of Aboriginal people that many visitors take away with them - based on their limited experiences in Darwin City.