High octane unleaded worth the money?

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

Do you think high octain fuel is worth the extra money?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 13

jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

High octane unleaded worth the money?

Post by jpb15 »

We have used the high octain fuel a couple of times in different motors with different horse power for no obvious advantage.

I admit they were not long term tests. Only 40 - 60 litres at a time.

But each time there was no obvios speed increase or better economy noticed. Certainly nothing to suggest it was worth paying the extra 8 - 10 cents a litre it costs.

I would be interested in other peoples opinion.

Jeff

Sick of coming home Fishless
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

I'm with you jpb15 :| I can't say I've noticed a big difference to warrant payin the extra $ for :???: some people swear by it though :|

BEAR
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Unless you have a high performance motor I think that it is a waste of $$$$ I have used the stuff and never noticed anything different :shock:

Save the $$ and spend it on lures :angel:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

I've never tried it :???: but, the Missus uses it religiously and reckons she get between 50 & 100 kays extra per tank :o , she drives a cr*ppy little Ford Laser! :P
All I know it's my brass that she's spendin' on this red gasoline :x :banghead:
Unless you have a high performance motor I think that it is a waste of $$$$
So.....it won't do my Rodeo any good then, 2Rods :grin: :grin: :grin:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Blinky... high performance and rodeo should not be allowed in the same sentence..... unless your in court that is :shock:

But what can I say... my 2.8ltr hilux is anything but high performance :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

0 - 60 in 15 mins
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
apolot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fuels ain't fuels

Post by apolot »

I don’t know if I get better fuel economy from my Honda 40 outboard by running high octane fuel in it as I’m too busy fishing, zipping from one creek to another. Accelerating from one place to another is not the most efficient use of fuel but the 40 seems to run on the smell of an oily rag.

However, I do feel that the latest 4 stroke outboards are highly tuned pieces of machinery that do perform better on premium fuel. One thing that I have found between standard fuel and premium fuel in my outboard is how it runs at idle. Long term use of standard fuel and I found the motor a little harder to start, rougher at idle and chocking at trolling speed.

Once I switched to premium fuel the motor seemed to purr with appreciation. It starts with ease, idles smoothly and can troll all day long without missing a beat.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Premium

Post by jasonmcc »

I have run my new 4-stroke outboard on premium from the day I have it. I have head and read a lot of info of how poor normal unleaded fuel is. For the small price you pay I think its worth it. I filled up a 44 Gal drum last year with premium from a woolworths servo using a discount docket. It worked out that I got premium for the same price as unleaded.

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
barrajames
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fuel chat

Post by barrajames »

I haven't tried premium in the boat yet but get an extra km a litre in the ute so the maths says its worth it. :idea:
Barrajames

The tinnyarse fisho
Remember: The biggest fish ALWAYS hit the lightest line... May your drag smoke like Bob Marley!
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

fuel

Post by dodgyone »

Not noticed it with boats but my old XR6 used to be very fussy. Ran on an exclusive diet of ultimate 98. Noticed the difference in idle, power and at least 60km extra to a tank of fuel.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
gill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gill »

I dunno a whole hell of alot about outboards but in roadbikes I found some of therm love premium others don't seem to care. Read somewhere that an engine will only get the most out of premium if it's appropriately tuned, but again this was related to bikes, boat engines seem a little lazier, although they do get a very hard time.

I've always run bikes on premium but did discover that optimax (am I allowed to say this???) never seemed to be as good as other brands of premium. Then I heard heaps of stories of it destroying bike engines, but I can't confirm this.

Another thing i've heard is that after a couple of months premium is no longer premium, apparently the addatives evaporate off.

Cheers