Forum Disclosure - Have Your SAY

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

do you think you should have to disclose your real identity on the forum

yes
37%
no
63%

Total votes: 67

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Forum Disclosure - Have Your SAY

Post by nomad »

dirtyruiz wrote:Nice rig mate, as for the post I couldn't give a sh!t
That’s why the crooks target the online community.
Most people don’t give a rats about security until it’s too late. They think that things like hacking etc. only happen to other people and you hear about it on the current affairs programs.

Let’s be clear. Organisations like PETA will do ANYTHING to stop hunting and fishing etc. and will infiltrate communities . sounds like sci-fi stuff but it does happen.

Matt has our details and that is available to the cops and more than likely to courts under a subpoena.
I just hope that Matt has our details securely contained

Matt?

lutjanus argentimaculatus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by lutjanus argentimaculatus »

nomad wrote:
dirtyruiz wrote:Nice rig mate, as for the post I couldn't give a sh!t
Matt has our details and that is available to the cops and more than likely to courts under a subpoena.
I just hope that Matt has our details securely contained

Matt?
I beg to Differ.. i don't think Matt has our details at all apart from an IP Address which if you know what you are doing can be changed by using a Proxy Server..
my friends call me Mangrove Jack %
this is my Boat.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good point.
I was under the impression that if you didnt give in to Matt and advise of your name and ph no, then all of your posts would be subject to moderation before it was posted.
So did you give Matt your details?
if not, i'd be interested to know how are you able to post and have it appear immediately?
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

I don't give my details to a business as I don't have any control over what that business does with that information
lutjanus argentimaculatus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by lutjanus argentimaculatus »

nomad wrote:Good point.
I was under the impression that if you didnt give in to Matt and advise of your name and ph no, then all of your posts would be subject to moderation before it was posted.
So did you give Matt your details?
if not, i'd be interested to know how are you able to post and have it appear immediately?
that is an answer for Matt, i know he will be watching this thread,, he is letting it run its course, to see peoples views, everyone has valid points, but thing is people put up post on who they are where they were there, people say where they are going all the time, but i just want those few people that are hiding behind their anonymity to be not so anonymous that they feel they can make accusations without having the facts to back them up, and it is going on, as well as the inbox messages that come through behind the scenes, not everything is publicly apparent..
i in no way am suggesting for anyone to give up information that could compromise their personal security, but i do think that people should be able to be able to be held somewhat accountable to claims and accusations that might be made publicly without the onus or liability falling on Matt, this would take his need to moderate threads and things to a more relaxed level, where as currently he possibly over moderates things, but he needs to to take the liability away from him, i am a member on other forums and the bullcrap you have to go through to become a member is astounding, even down to you need to have an email that is not a hotmail account act..
my friends call me Mangrove Jack %
this is my Boat.

shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Having an email that is not a hotmail account is standard on the forums I'm in
Thought it was here to
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

Mate it's a sh!t idea, sorry, Back cast is probably your mate and all but whatever, it's not a good idea. Matt has all our names, they can be passed on to police if need be.
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

dirtyruiz wrote:Mate it's a sh!t idea, sorry, Back cast is probably your mate and all but whatever, it's not a good idea. Matt has all our names, they can be passed on to police if need be.
I'll bet you whatever you want that Matt don't have everyones names and identity on here... that's a fact... don't worry bout me i can look after my ugly self... very well in fact...
i don't need anyone standing up for me..
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Matt don't gar my identity I'm an Unidentified poster ;) I think a few of you jumped the gun with telling mate who you all where as I'm pretty sure he just took the moderating thing off
As for people thinking your house will be robbed cos people will know your going fishing cos of this forum gee you must live a sheltered life ?? Wouldn't they just see your boat is gone ??
To tell you the truth though I think if people were identifiable alot more people may hold there tongue on the forum !!!
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

It's not just 'gone fishing' Doug. There are plenty of locals on here that are FIFO that post when they'll be back. Same deal for those serving overseas. I'm not in the suburbs, so no they 'wouldn't see your boat is gone'. I don't consider myself leading a sheltered life, but I won't advertise when I'm not home deliberately.
In fact, I think this post has been the result of one person being aware of when another has not been in town.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Yeah righto! If some was to be targeting you for theft or any sort of thing I find it hard to believe they would target you through a forum
Credit card theft and the like yeah maybe that's more of a hassle but not a drama in this day and age you go to your bank and tell them it wasn't an authorized transaction and they reimburse the money ad follow up the theft as its there bank security that let some one else access your money from the way I see it
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Probably right Doug but don’t give them an easy opening.
You would be surprised just who reads forums in general.
I worked too hard to get my toys to be sending open invtes to people who want to take it off my hands..
Sister Ed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sister Ed »

Love the rig shaggs. I think the real identity should be available to the administrator of the site. I am also very aware of the risks involved with having personal details on any internet media, hence I am against the disclosure.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Just wondering how many people post here under a....... (whatever they call that name that's not your own?) but use their own name on facebook?
Regards Dick
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

The police can trace you back to the computer/s you use Mangrove Jack, assuming you've done something to warrant that sort of attention.
Personal details serve no real purpose!!