Yellow Waters Broken

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Yellow Waters Broken

Post by Basstad »

Seastorm wrote:I did heaps of trips to Corroboree early 90s, stayed for month long trips regularly, with my great ol mate Jim at his camp....the fishing was always really easy, although i was lucky to have the best teacher....we would fill albums with beautiful photos every year...this was the Nilsy Spearhead days, then came the period Little Lucifers....seemed they woke up again, and we went Scorpions on top thru the little Powertail/tarpon schools at night, straight down the middle of the billabong.We would find them biting at our go-to haunts, leave them biting for lunch and beers and arvo siesta in the camp, go back out and find them biting most times...if not, our main run always produced at night, especially on black Spearheads going one direction over the ledge after the moonrise.
Around 2000, things started to change, for the worse, pretty fast too.Technology definitely got better.Transducers that showed which side fish were on came into play like Hummingbird Optics etc..if fish were stacked up in a weeded bankside, they wouldn't bite, wasn't worth a run...once they showed up all over the run and at various heights, hold on, heaps of double and the odd triple hookups.
The last few times i hit it the car park was full, which would definitely affect the place..in the old days it was us, the odd other boat or three, Nobbys hire boats, Marks charters, Les Woodbridge, Lindsey and one or two others that have long since gone, or slipped my mind.Midweek bugger all...now with FIFO etc everyday is the weekend to so many.
Cane toads must have had some effect, no mistake.Technology too.And pressure.Not sure re the figures from the yearly netting, but i wouldn't have thought there are substantially less on the screen.Maybe they got smarter and the best fishermen still nail them there now...if i go there it is to give the big boat a good freshwater run on return from Shady or Cobourg, not to brain the barra, as to me it just doesn't produce like it used to.....
It was so easy then we would throw a car topper on the roof at camp and drive across Terrys' big plain to Hardys just for a change of location.Geez i was so lucky, they were great times.

Sums it well mate,

ambush
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ambush »

Seastorm i could listen to your old Darwin fishing stories for hours. Its amazing how our environment has changed. My dad lived at beatrice hill when he was young, and would tell the stories that it was nothing for him and his brother to bring back four or five barra in and hour (walking through the floodplains) for the family of seven. He loved the old days of fishing up the east alligator especially coopers. Dad reckon he saw some of the biggest crocs of his life up there. When he see's my tackle box, rod and reel combo's he's blown away; a) cost and b) why so many lures??
Wish i grew up in Darwin in the 60's and early 70's
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

ambush wrote:Seastorm i could listen to your old Darwin fishing stories for hours. Its amazing how our environment has changed. My dad lived at beatrice hill when he was young, and would tell the stories that it was nothing for him and his brother to bring back four or five barra in and hour (walking through the floodplains) for the family of seven. He loved the old days of fishing up the east alligator especially coopers. Dad reckon he saw some of the biggest crocs of his life up there. When he see's my tackle box, rod and reel combo's he's blown away; a) cost and b) why so many lures??
Wish i grew up in Darwin in the 60's and early 70's
Yer thanks Ambush....thered be heaps of people with a lot better stories than mine, probably a lot are a bit older and not into computers etc, but would be great to hear them...cherish your Dads tales mate...
As for your Dads' surprise at the size of our ever expanding tackle boxes, the main two things that stand out are-
1;we mainly fished there so we didn't really feel the need for an arsenal if we were to hit salt, coastal creeks flats in the bays etc,
2;we didn't have to try too many lures to get fish...we just got fish...maybe we would try newer lures to see if they too could trick a barra!!!Like Mighty Mites, they were a find when we really just changed for the hell of it.
One of the first times we changed to a new lure thru not getting any fish on our old lures was Halco soft plastic shads 4", red/white...remember that session like yesterday...tied one on a friends line and bang...then the mate whacked one on, bang...i just netted barra and smiled, and still recall when the amazing action of its tail as it dropped into the water compared to a hard body...between the mate and my ol mates' daughter they got 30 nice fish in about 1.5 .hours....
Really glad your old haunt produced too Blinky, bet that you appreciated that trip.
ambush
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ambush »

Awesome
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Seastorm wrote: 2;we didn't have to try too many lures to get fish...we just got fish...maybe we would try newer lures to see if they too could trick a barra!!!
As I remember it, there just wasn't the choice back in the day. Late 70's early 80's I reckon there were only 2 types of lures readily available - Nilsies & Rapalas.

Having said that, don't think I ever went into a tackle shop - the 'big, new' KMart was our tackle store of choice. Certainly wasn't walls full of options like there is today. I remember the 'revolutionary' introduction to the shelves of 'VibroTails' (later became Silver Fox I think ??). Absolutely slayed them for a few trips until we got the $hits with them cos they only lasted a couple of fish before they were rooted. Went back to the ever reliable Spearheads/Stalwarts - would last forever. If the bib broke or pulled out, would glue a new one in and away it went again (can u still even source replacement bibs?? Firk'n consumer, throw away world we live in today ........ )
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

It's Definitely the CROCS! Now can I shoot them?
virgil9
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by virgil9 »

Blinky wrote:YW's not busted any longer, we slayed 'em 3rd weekend in November, in excess of 30 for the night session.......

Good to hear
freddymuluka
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by freddymuluka »

Went there Show weekend. Water was dirty and not 1 barra sighted...not even darting off through the weed beds. Kakadu Powertail tours it turned out to be.

The place is BROKEN!
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

Blinky wrote:A mate just told me it's the same with Rainbows in Eucumbene..........

yep same as the rainbows. ..nearly gone

Bm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

I still remember buying a gun from Kmart, at 13. Great tails Seastorm, brings back lots of memories.
trev4th
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by trev4th »

Slug, you can still get replacement bibs for spearhead. They still work a treat and you can walk them through timber. cheers
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Keep casting mate...
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.