Trip to Manton

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Trip to Manton

Post by Flickin4em » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 pm

With the wet in full swing and most areas underwater you've got to be flexible in the speceies you are chasing. AS IF.... I was going barramundi fishing in one of the least producive spots i know but still happy to be going out. I was up at 0430 just before the alarm and headed out to Manton Dam. Arrived no worries and launched solo in the dark. As the culvert was pumping in fresh I decided a trip up the creek seemed to be in order.

I hit the lights and throttle and tore off into the night, lures rigged and full of excitement. Easily covering the few km of lily pad fields I deployed the motorguide after a slight error in judgement saw me up in the reeds after a corner snuck up on me. The entire area was submerged but cutting the corners on the creek line was sure to bring the familiar crunch of timber being chewed up by several hundred dollars of prop.

So, gently I covered the last few hundred metres in stealth mode flicking any areas that may be holding fish. The new motorguide lapped it up and gave me many more opportunities to cover the area thoroughly before moving to the next bit. It looked prime with a bit of current coming down through it too. The last few corners came and went without even a nudge from any type of finned adversary and without the constant removal of lillies and a errant cast into the jungle I'd not hooked anything.

Took stock of the situation then paused, skulled an iced coffee for brekkie then moved back below the couple of big logs that make access tricky at low water levels. Action up in the shallows set the heart racing and a lure was sent out in search of a big toga.
No takers.. A bit more maunuvering to get the perfect spot hit the anchor button then I sent out what must've been cast 400 for the day.

I'd been thinking of moving spots but as the lure touched down it was engulfed before i could even flip the bail arm over.
Panic!!
Set the hook!
Press record on the gopro. .
With the ensuing choas I did manage to get a hook into my opponent and the 20lb whiplash was screaming off my ci4. After a short fight I was buried in the lillies but a quick move down next to it, a bit of gardening and a pinch of luck and I'd won . Solo net shot, and soon had a nice sized toga on the deck. Snapped off a couple of pics and was stoked. It soon went quiet so a move and change of tactics were called for.

Well no Barra there so maybe they're up the other end. So I headed off at the casuaul pace of FULL THROTTLE covering the entire length of the dam in a few minutes. I deployed the electric and started trolling snags with the 20 plus barra baits. No joy here but did mark a few more snags to try another day so wasn't all bad. Talked to the crews that had fished up near the barrier net but they were generally dissatisfied with the response they had got for their efforts with one hit received between 6 anglers for hours of casts in the dark too.

While it wasn't all action another trip to manton was over and done with before I knew it. I'm convinced that one day I'll clean up on a few good fish but untill then it's a good spot for a bit of stress free relaxation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

tangels
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Trip to Manton

Post by tangels » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Nice one mate. Top report..

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Great photos

b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:00 pm

Serenity would have been bliss, easily best time of the day
Everydays a good day when your fishing

FOMOB

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:11 pm

There have been reports of big dead barra under the spillway, looks like the new net isn't holding them back.

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Cheers for the responses fellas
Tangels : no worries, I always enjoy a good read on others entries .. really appreciated
Theodosius : all the pics were off my phone they go alright these days, who would've thought years ago that they'd be this good.
Matt :re the new net it's hopeless, just like its predecessor, it wouldn't have gone under either but the fish would just swim around it at the ends and any gaps created in the rising flood. Also being brand new it doesn't have the fish appeal of the old one with the algae etc.
B-radical: the serenity was off the chart right up until I opened the throttle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

Return to “Freshwater”