Keep River

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Keep River

Post by bobj »

Spent a beaut 7 days camping on the Keep River and managed 31 barra, 5 jacks, 4 archerfish and 3 forkytails.All fish, except the forkytails were caught on Reidy's little lucifers. The forkies were caught on salted herring...Most of the barra were small, 25 to 35 cm with a couple of 4 kg fish.
Where did I fish?? As I have done my last trip there, it is now ok to mention, 3 km after the gate, a hairpin right, to the lagoons. A small track (1st gear idling for about 200 m) between the lagoons left turn, another left turn after 300 m then as far as you can go, about 300 m beyond the rocks.
Be aware of a few rather big 'lizards' hang about. Incidentally, the set of rocks I mentioned is the place where the salt water and freshwater meet. And, yes, you can drink the freshwater...IF you scare the crocs away. Counted 16 of the brutes.
Disappointed in Sullivan creek, on the way to the Vic, 7 hours fishing and 1 spangled perch!
Sad to see that my favourite camp at Hicks Ck on the Duncan Rd now has 5 freshwater crocs in it so only managed 2 sooties and 7 archerfish on small soft plastics.
Also, spent a good week camping and fossicking for garnets about 30 km east of the Gem Tree on the Plenty Hwy.

Cheers, bobj.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Keep River

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great report Bob, shame the fishing wasn't a bit better for the distances travelled. You don't fish the tidal part of the Keep?
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Thanks for the report Bob.....one of those places I keep threatening to visit but always drive past it on my way to the Kimberley!
No matter where you go, there you are!
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bobj »

Matt Flynn wrote:Great report Bob, shame the fishing wasn't a bit better for the distances travelled. You don't fish the tidal part of the Keep?
Used to fish the tidal areas but it is a verydusty track and there is a 6 km long saltpan to negotiate...Plus the neap tides are the only time one can actually fish there, due to the big tidal surge for the rest of the month. And, it is another 30 km further on...
Cheers, bobj.
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bobj »

Gotta laugh...the morning after arriving back home in Mackay, fished off the rocks and landed a 97 cm barra...
Cheers, bobj.