Hooked up at Hardies

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Hooked up at Hardies

Post by Flickin4em » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 am

The wet was definitely upon us. The wind was picking up and birds cruised overhead desperate to outrun the approaching premature darkness. Thunder rumbled all around as a huge storm drenched the landscape as I headed out for a crack at the barra down at the Mary on one of my favourite stretches of freshwater Hardies Lagoon.
20181108_170412.jpg
A quick check of the BOM site before heading out of range told me that I should be able to drive through the isolated bit of rain then once in the water the barometer should be rising again after the storm passes I thought swinging into the nearby pub for a bite to eat.
Screenshot_2018-11-08-17-08-56.png
20181108_171223.jpg
The track off the highway was quite muddy and the odd washout thown in for the unwary kept me on my toes as I drove the 10km of dirt / mud before pulling up at the ramp following the storm that had just drenched the surrounding area. I'd read earlier on in the paper that launching was tricky and the 300mm drop off at the end of the new concrete ramp confirmed I'd be using the old rockbar ramp instead.

2nd attempt and hard jackknifed to the right with half a wheel submerged in the lagoon had the tinny actually in the water floating no worries .
20181108_174629-1.jpg
Within minutes a small longtom was the first in on the action.
20181108_180155.jpg
I trolled towards the nearby cutting into another untouched area. But, it was way too shallow to drive in so I tied off and headed off on foot. The huge footprint of the resident salty reminded me that this entire area was serious croc country and not really prime bank fishing.
20181108_181047.jpg
But with the chance at a million bucks for a redtagged fish I continued onwards. A few missed hits and a quick recovery on a pandanus clump snag was the highlights of the day so far aswell as the adrenaline rush of fishing just off the slide of the local croc on his prime shortcut ...

Deciding I'd be less likely to be eaten in the boat I climbed back aboard and continued onwards towards the end of the pool.
20181108_184620.jpg
The first sandbar was only 500mm deep as i passed over it and a huge school of barra were just before the rise in 5m. Further down the lagoon within sight of the sandbar I sounded another group of fish. I tried the zerek prawns and vibes but no luck so began casting into the shallows and snags as the sun set with an ol faithful 6 inch nilsie.

The rewarding hit of a nice barramundi soon registered up the braid and a large swirl could be seen rising through the branches of the submerged black wattle. The fish was on and tearing back home shattering the tranquillity of the peaceful surroundings as drag hissed off the baitcaster and beeps sounded from the leccy as I hastily repositioned the tinny for a better angle of battle to extract the fish from it's tangled lair.
20181108_184009-1.jpg
Luck was in my favour this time and the knock down battle was soon over. I grabbed a wrap of my leader after a short but brutal tussle around the timber I hoisted the fish aboard resulting in a nice picture of my little barra instead of a mission to retrieve the snagged lure out of the branches with a tale of the one that got away. A short shower then the threat of another massive soaking had me pulling the pin by 8pm this trip and leaving early but still happy to at least have had one last crack at it for the year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Hooked up at Hardies

Post by theodosius » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 am

Great writeup. Nearly got badly lost there once wandering around on foot looking for small billabongs

fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 am

hardies is a hidden gem. I see they havn't fixed the main ramp. It's the first time I have seen bird billabong completely dry. Nice spear heads of that lump in the middle. good post.
tight lines

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am

nice write up and a top place to fish ,looks a bit different to when i used to go there late 90 s you were keen heading out there after a drenching too .

Barrajas
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Barrajas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm

good work Flinkin4em, great write up

Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Awesome story and effort. Motivates me to get out for a fish. Thanks for sharing

Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Great read matek, thanks for sharing.

Return to “Freshwater”