Corroboree Billabong and Adelaide River on the same day.

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Corroboree Billabong and Adelaide River on the same day.

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Yes we went fishing on two locations on the same day, and this is the short story of it.
We fished Corroboree Billabong and the Adelaide River.
We got fish on many different lures.
It was a long but great day.
On the Saturday afternoon, I got a message from Jason asking me if I wanted to go fishing on Sunday?
It didn't take long for me to realise that really, there was not much else that I wanted to spend my Sunday doing.
The plan was to fish Corroboree early in the morning, and then zoom to the Adelaide Rived in the afternoon.
So at 5:00am we found ourselves on the way to the Billabong. And yes, it is at least for me the city boy, always a very beautiful thing to see, the Billabong waking up in the morning:

Corroboree Billabong in the morning.

We had expected to see a long queue of boats launching at the ramp...
Nobody was there, we had the place for ourselves.
With no one else there, we decided that we could try first to have a few casts in the lilies just on the right of the ramp.
Well people often say that in fishing you have to do the miles to get the smile, but not this time.
We had just launched, it was not yet 7:00am, and just like that, I was on to a beautiful little fresh water Barramundi:

First Barramundi of the trip.

No it was not a giant at 65 cm (25.590551 In.), but hey, I was happy as one can be. Just a few minutes on the water, a dozen casts and we had a fish was on board.
Oh how that Barramundi fishing seemed easy just then. Well it was going to be a little while before the next Barra. But other fish were to be caught in the interim.
Yet with no other fish taking our lures, we decided to go for a bit of a troll along the waterways.
And simply enjoy the morning light.

Lilie pads at Corroboree Billabong.

A former colleague from the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, had told me that if I could one day bring him back a Saratoga or Scleropages leichardti, as it is called by the people of knowledge, for the museum collection. Well guess what? We hadn't been trolling for long, and once again I was On! This time to a nice little Saratoga who had taken an unhealthy liking to my Reidy's lure:

Saratoga on the Big Lucifer lure.

My first Saratoga of the day.

Mission accomplished, I had a Saratoga and it was going to go in the museum collection.
As such, we recorded the GPS coordinates of where it had been taken, the time (7:45am), and depth at with the lure was swimming (2,5 metres).
Sometimes simple little things like this makes me happy.

We then started to have a lot of success with the Tarpon, and it wasn't that hard because they were everywhere.

Jason with the first Tarpon of the day.

They were good fun, and some of them were really fat and hit hard, for such little fish.

Pandanus on the bank.

We even tried to fish with some small soft plastic vibes, and I got a nice Saratoga with them, and Jason got one too:

Saratoga on the small vibe.

Between the Tarpon and Saratoga it was great billabong fishing.

Jason working another Tarpon.

Still, I wanted another Barra, and started to think that for it to happen I would have to cast deep in the lilies again, instead than just on the edge of the lilies. Yet, I was not brave enough to flick a vibe with two treble straight in the under water forest made by the water lilies stems.
So I naturally opted for a small soft plastic, the smallest one in my bag, a little Reidy's of just a few centimetres, in the chartreuse colour. I would love to show you this lure, but really there is not much to show...
Judge for yourselves:

Can you see it?

Yes you can't see much, but let me tell you that the fish liked it.
With the temperature of the day rising, the action went down.

Every body needs a place to rest when it's hot.

So we decided that it might be time for a move toward the Adelaide River.
And this is just what we did.

Not long after starting to fish on the Adelaide, Jason got on his first Barra of the day:

Happy as a man who just caught a fish.

Yes, even after having lived outside of the Northern Territory for a few years, Jason was still able to find the Barramundi on one of his favourite rivers.
Not only he was able to find some fish, but he was able to put me on them too.
First I lost one at the boat, which if you ask me was totally unfair.
So we trolled again, when I got a nice little hit, and my line took a tangent for the bank.
Not wanting my fish to go straight for the snags, I thumbed my spool and jerked a bit the rod, and the fish started to swim my way. From the fight I quickly realised that it wasn't too big, but got a bit of a fright when it came boat side, as I had the impression to see a shark or a crocodile swim just under it.
Not knowing for sure what it was, or even if it wasn't just a figment of my imagination. The fish was rapidly lifted in the boat.

My dinner had been sorted.

At 56 cm (22.047244 Inches) it was just over the minimum legal size, and in the esky it went.
I was laughing at how I panicked when I had this small Barramundi on the line, thinking that it was going to be taken from me, by some underwater predator.
When Jason got a solid hit and was now connected to what was obviously a better fish.
As fast as possible I reeled in my lure, and got the net ready when I heard Jason scream: Oh there is a shark!!! Oh no!!!
And that was it:

When a shark gets the better part of your Barramundi.

Before I had even had the time to turn around with the net and to look at this big fish in the water, that shark had done his shark job... It had collected its tax, under the form of fresh food...
This is not the first time that I saw a shark taking part or even a full Barramundi from a hooked line. But this one was the fastest of them all. So fast that in fact, I didn't even see it.
But at least now I know that I had not dreamed when I had my smaller fish on the line, there are sharks in the water...

A bit further up the river, Jason caught another Barramundi:

Last Barramundi of the day.

All the fish we caught on the Adelaide, were very chrome looking. Not as fat as the fish we hooked in Corroboree billabong earlier in the day, but still very healthy.

Sadly it was starting to be late, and it was time to race down the river, toward the ramp and home.
As we started to make our way back, the weather dramatically changed, a storm seemed ready to pounce on us, and the sky kept changing all the way to the ramp, for the rain to start lightly falling only once we were in the car.
Yet the spectacle that the sky gave us, reminded me of one of the many reasons why I love going fishing in the Top End so much.

The multiple colours of the sky.

Yes I know, it is a lot of photographs of the sky, but I had forgotten how it can change so fast.
It was a good reminder of why I prefer going fishing than playing video games.

Thank you Jason for inviting me to fish from your boat.

And that is all for now.
Have a good day,
Pecheur

P.S: #DeepRiver
Last edited by Pecheur on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Corroboree Billabong and Adelaide River on the same day.

Post by theodosius »

Awesome photos and report mate
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi Theodosius,

Thank you mate.
I hadn't posted in a long time, but I had also not really fished in a long time.
Hopefully I will be able to restart.
:D

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Great story, great pics great fish. You did it all.
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Post by alfie »

Great read as always and beaut photos. Cheers for sharing
DEEPRIVER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DEEPRIVER »

Great report and photos Pecheur :mrgreen:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I seem to have read that same thing elsewhere :wink:
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

great report Peach.
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

Another Great report.
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

What a ripper report!
Mickfly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mickfly »

Great report thanks.
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Hi Pecheur, welcome back :) . Good to see you get amongst them, another bunch of great piccys and a story told only the way you can. :mrgreen:

:cheers:

Melv
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Hi Pech - good to hear from you.

Glad to see there's still some barra getting about out there - it's been a tough season this year!

Great report as always, and fantastic photos - keep 'em coming!

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great read mate, well done.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

A great report as usual Pecheur. Thanks! Is that a Simpsons bandaid on your finger? Noice! :applause:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...