Trolling speeds

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

What is the most productive trolling speed for barra?

Under 2 knots
50%
Over 2 knots
50%

Total votes: 84

Ditchfire
Silver Member
Silver Member

Trolling speeds

Post by Ditchfire »

Wondering what members views are on trolling speeds. What speeds in which situations improve chances of a strike?

Have been advised slow is best to keep the lure in the fish's face longer and have heard of some faster speeds being successful on the Daly and Chambers Bay.

Just curious as to what people think works best.

Happy Fishing :fishing:

blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Trolling speeds

Post by blw »

When I fished sampan and tommycut I used big bombers and stradas at 11kmh and got heaps of bazza
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

But if I use classics I barely have the motor in gear. Super slow
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

I generally run as slow as possible (6-7kph). I'll pick it up if nothing is happening (10kph). Having said that, 2013 proved to be almost completely fruitless running anywhere between 6-10kph., though it is a nice speed to take in the scenery.
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

if your trolling the snags slow is the go, but if your trolling the middle of the river ie Daly or mouth of shady, big ass b52,s or big stratas fast works good about 11 to 13 kms . it seems to get the big ones going and the other plus is when it,s hot as hell the breeze is a god send !!
Fogazi
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fogazi »

same speed as the boat in front of you in the case of shady...
Ditchfire
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Ditchfire »

Thanks guys and yes Fogazi that's sound advice for Shady Camp. It's not long now before the ramp is thirty to forty boats lined up to hit the water!
Ditchfire
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Ditchfire »

Been reading and watching a bit about the "pelagic trolling" for Barra. Seems like another great option to try in the right conditions. Chambers Bay and the Daly are areas where I have heard it working well. Anyone out there have some experience at either of these locations or anywhere else with this kind of trolling? When, where and what were the results? Any advice or experience would be appreciated by many I'm sure.

Happy Fishing.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I believe the fast trolling is done on the run in tide, with the tide. I believe the barra are doing the same following the bait in
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Hooked the biggest Barra Ive had on out front of Tommycut going backwards.We were coming back from Carmor crk & colour change was obvious about 4ks or more out so started trolling & not having structure or other boats to go by thought we were making headwy but GPS said nooo when a fish of about 1.2 jumped on & done plenty of aerobatics for quite a while before pulling hooks.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Dinger wrote:Hooked the biggest Barra Ive had on out front of Tommycut going backwards.We were coming back from Carmor crk & colour change was obvious about 4ks or more out so started trolling & not having structure or other boats to go by thought we were making headwy but GPS said nooo when a fish of about 1.2 jumped on & done plenty of aerobatics for quite a while before pulling hooks.
It's all about the lures relative speed to the current- that's why you can catch fish 'strolling' whilst at anchor, if your going with a 5km/hr current you have to troll faster than the current- maybe over 10km/hr on the gps
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

Ditchfire wrote:Been reading and watching a bit about the "pelagic trolling" for Barra. Seems like another great option to try in the right conditions. Chambers Bay and the Daly are areas where I have heard it working well. Anyone out there have some experience at either of these locations or anywhere else with this kind of trolling? When, where and what were the results? Any advice or experience would be appreciated by many I'm sure.

Happy Fishing.
Was fishing down towards the bottom of the Daly in the mid 90s tied up one day, solo, had barra exploding under the boat for a solid hour at the start of the incoming….tried every lure in the box, frustrated to the max, just the odd touch.(We have all had this happen i hope).
Tied on my ol favourite Plugger Lockett Halco Laser Pro macky lure , cast and wind pretty fast, did it turn around…after that i used to sit at a certain sandbar bend and wait for the barra on the incoming and when they started firing id troll with them with any smaller type macky lures, worked a few times…haven't tried it for years as i haven't hit the Daly for a long time.
Ditchfire
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Ditchfire »

Thanks for the info Seastorm, will employ that tactic next time the opportunity arises.

You still in Tangambalanga? Great area down that way, how's the Murray Cod action there at the moment? getting a few?

Happy Fishing. :fishing:
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Generally you should try to move yr lure slightly faster than the tide is running. So speed is relative to the speed of tide/current. :mrgreen: Remember you are trying to make your lure look like a real fish....
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Geraldton892
Silver Member
Silver Member

Salt Water Arm

Post by Geraldton892 »

Anyone know of the road conditions out to SWA?