Maximum size limit for barra

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Should there be a mazimum size limit on barramundi?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 20

Lilman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maximum size limit for barra

Post by Lilman »

Hey guys, I'm doing an assignment in regards to the size limits off barramundi and whether there should be a maximum size limit? Please feel free to leave your opinion as I need some primary sources.

Thanks for your help :)

Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Maximum size limit for barra

Post by Finatic2 »

Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

What if the 90 you just caught was hooked in the gills and dead?
skotty74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skotty74 »

I'm thinking the same as most 85-115 goes back, any bigger ok to keep for mounting as it is basically a once in a lifetime fish for most, and near the end of its breeding life... if the fish is gill hooked and dead then i agree its no use putting it back theo...
“The solution to any problem –work, love, money, whatever –is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach
tucker85
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tucker85 »

Not that I'm in favour of keeping undersized barra..

But the gill hooking theory could be the same for undersized barra too. If you got a 54cm that was knackered it has to be thrown back.

My opinion a max size of 90cm is a good way to go.
'Tight Lines!'
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

No max limit. The majority of fisherman up here let all of the big girls go. I would much rather see a larger fish get used rather than wasted. They are not the nicest eating (I kept a metery once, I could not revive it and I have let plenty of big fish go). Those who neck the big ones all the time, will continue to do so. Let's not make criminals out of the innocent fisherman who gill hook a fish by accident, or can't revive a bigger fish.

I think our Barra laws are pretty good up here, though with the amount of boats, hire boats, short timers and tourists maybe a review of the boat limit is due?
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

Last edited by CharFin on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

I'm always against negative rules as to what you can't do, particularly if in the long term it doesn't achieve outcome is is supposed to.

1. Pro and Rec fishing reduce the numbers of barramundi. Only way to increase the numbers of barra is to put back what we take (+more to cover attrition). Victoria throgh RecFish release over 3 million fingerlings each and every year and has improved the cod yellow belly and trout fishing. Barra should be stocked to replenish numbers. This might make barra farms a bit more viable with another income stream. Upper size limit for barra might put the pros in a bit of conflict.......... or they will just catch heaps more 90cm to 120cm fish.....making the objective pointless.

2. The larger the fish target size the more years it takes to replace that fish from a fingerling. And puting all the fishing pressure on a size group will decimate that group. After a few years of smashing the 80 cm fish we might find the meteries have disappeared, ...... but we haven't caught any metreries.... that's right we caught everthing that grows to a metery. It just causes a delay of 3 or so years. Spread the pressure over the age group.

3. Minimum size should be what is a reasonable and good sized barra for eating. Farmed ones in the supermarket are a lot less than 55cm. Smaller fish are quicker to replace and many will never reach a large size. 3 barra to 50cm are arguebly less valuable than 1 or 2 90cm barra, particularly if those 3 smaller barra never make it to breeding size through natural attrition. Bag limits of 3 in daly and mary also push people to take bigger fish to make it worthwhile.

Positive action not negative rules.
Stocking benefits pros, recs and environment.
Upper size limt (infact most rules) disadvantages Recs and environment and maybe benefits the pros (who have different rules).
And that was my short answer.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

One female barra can release up to 17million eggs, so releasing 3million is chump change. Also there are a lot more hungry fish up here including barra that would make a short meal out of a few fingerlings.

But I like the rules as they are, I believe most big fish are released anyway I don't see a need to change it.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Lilman wrote:Hey guys, I'm doing an assignment in regards to the size limits off barramundi and whether there should be a maximum size limit? Please feel free to leave your opinion as I need some primary sources.

Thanks for your help :)
What are you studying? The maximum size limit/catch and release issue has a valid counter argument, though I haven't been able to find much published scientiffic material on the issue. If a large barra is caught and released, what do we know of the effects and stress of the capture has had on the fish and it's viability as a breeder? Hypothetically speaking if it was no longer a viable breeder, it would just be reduced to a large consumer of the biomass in the system.

I don't have the answer, just the question. I am not sure how you could design a realistic study to test this.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

It's not uncommon for a tagged barra to be caught two or more times. There have been quiet a few 1m+ barra caught more then twice on the daly river. So you would think that breeding would be much the same as feeding if the fish was stressed.

Intresting views with all valid points for both sides.

Wonder how it would go if everyone tagged barra around the Mary system, those half eaten barra would clearly show a fresh tag or the amount of times these big girls were being caught more than once. I remember reading the QLD stats and one 1m+ barra was caught again the very next day.
----------------------------
-----------------------------