Croc hunting safaris

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Croc hunting safaris

Post by UNCLDUG »

:mrgreen: G'day FFFrs,
So what are your thoughts and do you agree or not on " Safari hunting for crocs" in the NT???
Let the comments flow!
:cheers: UNCLDUG :cheers:

Bowser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Croc hunting safaris

Post by Bowser »

wouldnt be much of hunt to start but they would get better at hiding
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

If someone is willing to pay a few k to shoot a croc, when we currently pay public monies to remove them, then I reckon it is a non issue - bring on the safaris.

Boring bl..dy hunt tho ... I'd rather hunt a feral cat. With the croc gun :mrgreen:

A bullet in the head is less cruel than spending hours in a trap, or being harpooned ... the Greens should be calling for croc safaris!
deano
Seadog
Seadog

Post by deano »

i'm all for it but to even the ledger a bit you cant hunt from a boat
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

When I went to Canada, they all wanted to come here and shoot a croc and a buff. Be a nice business for someone, quite a few reckon they'd pay $5k-$10k for a croc.

Should be capped though!
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Managed responsibly - yes! Don't support all out "culling" but a couple shot in some popular areas would maybe get them to regain some natural fear of humans. Not too sure I would like the big 5m fellas shot though.
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Shitzngigglz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Shitzngigglz »

No way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be an absolute nightmare to try to regulate better off leaving it to the pro's we don't need the rubbish that is happening in Africa happening here in Aus.................. just my view
polcat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by polcat »

Surely you have all seen an episode or two of SWAMP PEOPLE, whats wrong with the way they manage it?? obviously we would have to go to English classes and get a few teeth knocked out before you were given a license! HAHAHAHA
MAY THE FISH BE WITH YOU !!

CHEERS,

POLCAT
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

polcat wrote:SWAMP PEOPLE
was the first thing that came to mind. :lolpoint: :lolpoint:
So how's it going to work? a boat load of gun toting rich yanks running up and down the river looking for something to plug?
The next thing we would need are the fluoro coloured vests to stop them from shooting us as well - "I thought it was a croc'

I love seeing those big buggers, all part of the experience. Then again, Ive never had one try to get into the boat with me
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Anyone who can pay a few k to shoot a croc is going to be reasonably well behaved. It is unlikely to be the type with a $300 gun who shoots at signs etc.

There would only be a limited number of licenced operators and a limited number of safaris. There would be no "open season". Appropriate animals would be identified.

Venues would not be Yellow Water or Corroboree etc where there are sightseers and a lot of fishos.

Crocs die when being trapped, they are killed at croc farms, they die in gill nets, they get poached - and many are made into handbags to satisfy someone's fashion taste or vanity.

And yet the NT can't earn some foreign cash having humane croc safaris.
Shitzngigglz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Shitzngigglz »

I hate to be the one crapping on about Africa but here goes ..........

People who can pay a few "K" .... reasonably well behaved ........... half of the "Rich" yanks wouldnt have a clue ........
A good mate of mine from work grew up on a safari park in south africa and his old man used to spend at least 3 days out of a 5 day safari trying to teach the "Idiot" yanks how and where to shoot an animal to kill it "humanely" and 9 ot of 10 times He would have to take a followup shot to kill the animals after the client had gut shot them .
Also keeping the "clients" sober long enough to handle a firearm safely was a big issue for him hence the motivation for him to sell up his operation and relocate.

So I very strongly disagree with the statements in the previous post...

Granted they are not all wannabe cowboys but in the dealings that I have had with them 90% of them are.........
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Government should be setting up stalls at boat ramps and handing out boxes of bullets and ya get paid $100 per croc you shoot !!!
bl..dy crocs :)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I hate to be the one crapping on about Africa but here goes ..........

People who can pay a few "K" .... reasonably well behaved ........... half of the "Rich" yanks wouldnt have a clue ........
A good mate of mine from work grew up on a safari park in south africa and his old man used to spend at least 3 days out of a 5 day safari trying to teach the "Idiot" yanks how and where to shoot an animal to kill it "humanely" and 9 ot of 10 times He would have to take a followup shot to kill the animals after the client had gut shot them .
Also keeping the "clients" sober long enough to handle a firearm safely was a big issue for him hence the motivation for him to sell up his operation and relocate.

So I very strongly disagree with the statements in the previous post...

Granted they are not all wannabe cowboys but in the dealings that I have had with them 90% of them are.........
Zero blood alcohol rule on the safari, problem fixed. Client agrees beforehand to perform a breath test. If he refuses, no shooting.

If they are here for the drinking, they can go fishing instead and swing a few stray treble hooks around, our fishing guides are already well trained to deal with that :lol:
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Australia is not africa not even fcking close. There is not a hope in hell that the punters will be able to mix grog and guns on a paid safari, the guide would never be covered by insurance. They are talking about identified problem crocs, crocs that would be shot anyway so why not make a few bucks out of it.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Bring it on,,crocs need to controlled in a more humane way a 308 to the head sounds good,but I don,t think it should be run by private operators ,because I,m sure the cowboy eliment would creep in.
One more thought,if It every went ahead how long before we start to see
"no go"areas for fishing because a croc safari is on that part of the river,,, :hunting: