Push for NT boater alcohol limits

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Push for NT boater alcohol limits

Post by nomad »

Totally un-Territorian.
People should be allowed to get just as p...ed while driving their boats as they do when driving their cars around here.
Its common knowledge that once you step foot on a boat, any grog you ingest just evaporates into thin air.
I suppose it will take the death of a VIP or their family before the laws are enforced to come into line with the rest of the world.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

They dont have laws like this in WA where you need a boat license. I ran the Pub on Rotto (WA) for 5 years....if they had this sort of enforcement in WA no one would have a boat or a boat licence for very long trust me!!! and the pub would have gone bust!. Stupid idea for the NT..the water is not like the roads especially up here. Let common sense prevail in some areas of life please..doctor. Plus imagine the costs to the public purse to enforce it!! better off putting that money into safety education and better facilities. Not sure why this agenda has been raised by a doctor? hidden agenda maybe?
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Pfffffffft
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Safety equipment checks and "road rules (nav)" education should be enough. Has to be someone sober to drive home so driver BAC checks on the boat ramp roads under existing law will cover it without killing the joy on the water.

What might save lives is a properly funded rescue organisation ...
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

So how would it work:

Eg.

while you're at anchor at say 12:30 pm and ol mate pulls up n puts you on the bag just after you've had a few nightcaps and about to hit the fart sack and you blow .061 (low range)????. Is it the same as being in a car in possession of the keys in a carpark with the stereo on. It's unlikley they'd get you back to a real BAC machine in time if you were at the mouth of the Wildman River, would they tow your boat back in load it up on the trailer if none of the clients were sober enough to drive it even if they weren't drinking many would be unable to as they didn't have the skills or appropriate licences for insurance purposes.?

Highly UnFknlikely!
What a load of cr@p!!!!

How about catching some of the real crims for a change u useless pr..ks like the boat and tackle theives, drug dealers and manufacturers, and increasing number of assault cases . !!!

Like mentioned above by Matt the possibility of a breatho on the way home is enough of a deterent to most and there's a sh!tload of better ways to spend our tax $$$$$ than trying to catch the odd DH that thinks the water is a brilliant place to get ratsh!t drunk then tear it up like it's a race track... Natural selection will sort them out quick smart anyway IMO.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

If they even consider it let's take it to an election as a parties election platform and see how far it gets them.
Rem :mrgreen: ember the stickers " I FISH AND I VOTE "

:fu: :banghead: :fu: :fu:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

:fubird: :fubird: :fubird:

:drinking1: :drinking2: :drinking3: :drinking5: :fishing: :catch: 8) :mrgreen:
barrabus29

Post by barrabus29 »

I made enquiries re boat rego and licence so I could take my boat interstate and use it. .. I was told that they do not want to have licence for boats as they do not want them linked to your drivers licence. Apparently it is to avoid the .05 limit.
Who knows, but i still want to take my boat interstate and have been advised that I cannot legally use v my boat
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

barrabus29 wrote:I made enquiries re boat rego and licence so I could take my boat interstate and use it. .. I was told that they do not want to have licence for boats as they do not want them linked to your drivers licence. Apparently it is to avoid the .05 limit.
Who knows, but i still want to take my boat interstate and have been advised that I cannot legally use v my boat

Plenty on here have travelled with their boat. I'm sure most states must have a permit or such to get you legal. There's a lot of grey nomads towing boats around.

They probably breathe a sigh of relief when they hit the Territory! :drinking1:
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

If it was about common sense and culpability, you would have to print your trailer rego number on your boat. That way, someone being stupid or dangerous could be tracked down and everybody that does the righty whilst having a few drinks can continue on their merry way. No money in that though.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

I don't get the fuss. It just brings the law into line with the same expectations as in a motor vehicle. It isn't a big deal.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Rug wrote:I don't get the fuss. It just brings the law into line with the same expectations as in a motor vehicle. It isn't a big deal.

Yep, i love sharing the water (and the road after they land) with people who are p...ed to the eyeballs.
its unterritorian to make people take responsibility for their actions - yeah right! it wont happen in my lifetime but just wait until some drunken arsehole kills one of your family. attitudes will change after that
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Best way to lose freedom is to abuse it. What the government is doing is not unreasonable. You can still enjoy a few beers on the water, just means you have to take a bit of responsibility while doing so.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yeah I watch those tv shows where the water police in nSW pull boaties over and get them on the breatho. Imagine that happening up here?
I rarely have a beer when im on the water these days. I need every brain cell I can find