McArthur River bed is burning

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

McArthur River bed is burning

Post by Matt Flynn »

http://ecnt.org.au/borroloola-artist-ca ... -legacy-2/

When Garrett became a pollie it was always going to be awkward.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: McArthur River bed is burning

Post by nomad »

I often wonder what was going thru his mind when he joined up. Did he really think that he could change the party line?
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

He must have Nomad. But quickly found out that was like trying to eat a bag full of hair.

I for one am glad he has moved back to his roots, that's how I want to remember him. Unfortunately his political foray is not easily forgotten for some such as those of the MacArthur region.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

It always has me buggered why any multi-millionaire would go into politics unless they think they can change the world.
Must be an ego thing and/or corruption

trouble with politics is that the LNP is full of lawyers and the ALP is full of ex union reps.
Very small gene pool and that’s why we are in the trouble we now find ourselves.

I still think that we dont pay them enough
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Need a free system of volunteers, expenses paid and basic wage, do it for the honour, for the right reasons. And no political donations allowed.

I reckon enough smart people (retired or wealthy) would put their hands up. Young people would do it for the look on their resume.

Pollies would get a better reputation because they would be there for the right reasons.

Some matters could be decided by an electronic voting system instead of $120m postal votes.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

nomad wrote:It always has me buggered why any multi-millionaire would go into politics unless they think they can change the world.
Must be an ego thing and/or corruption

trouble with politics is that the LNP is full of lawyers and the ALP is full of ex union reps.
Very small gene pool and that’s why we are in the trouble we now find ourselves.

You have to have a good understanding of how the system works and also be very pragmatic if you want to make a change in politics. This is the problem with celebrity candidates. Garrett should have been kept well away from the environment portfolio. He would have been very well suited to Indigenous Affairs because his experience and relationships with people on country is a rare skill. He did good work in the education portfolio though and credit to him.

The worrying trend with modern day politics is people seeing it as a career and not as public service. There are too many in the system that lack the lived experience outside the political environment. Not just elected politicians but also political staffers. They are worse because they are insulated behind the scenes and accountable to nobody. Rather than serving the elected official as he serves the public, they serve themselves, building their resumes and social networks. This is why politics has become so detached from the rest of society.

The best politicians are those that check their ego in at the door and continue to learn from the people they represent. That way they are approachable and show empathy.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It gets better, not only has the mine been mismanaged, causing severe pollution, but they haven't had to pay any royalties for the past two years, according to this report ... https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... rong-place

At least they sponsor the local fishing comp, but the irony is too much ...