Taking photos on your own

Put fishing videos only here, general videos have a another forum below.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Taking photos on your own

Post by nomad »

I fish alone and it's almost impossible to take great shots while holding the fish. As a result, all of my shots are just with the fish on the brag mat etc.

I've tried using a fixed mounting bracket on the boat but it just rusts out. Thought about a helmet cam but just haven’t got around to it.
does anyone have any ideas (other than teaching the dog how to use the camera)?

GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Taking photos on your own

Post by GoodLookinPete »

I use a really cheap 6" tripod taped to a 2' clamp. Works like a champion, clamp it to whatever you want at a moment's notice and away you go on timer.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

hey nomad, you can pick up small tripods with flexible legs that wrap around things to steady the camera, eg steering wheel, windscreen, bowrail, even the back of a chair, they come in different sizes and fit most cameras, and videos, have used them to video myself and the missus fishing before! can then set the camera angle and put it on timer then pose for yourself lol, they work well, always have one in the boat. i think they r called gorilla pods, we got ours at Camera house in the Darwin mall, most camera shops have em.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Thanks
I had one of the gorilla grips but it bounced over the side (with camera) while I was trying to do a video. Thank god for insurance

I'll just use it when stationary but im usually busy doing other stuff. i had a quick release clamp but it corroded.
1st I'll have to get something worth photographing.
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

I just put the camera on the chair on the top casting deck,and kneel down. Taking auto shots doesn't always come out the best for whatever reason,so I've had a few malfunctions over the years on good fish,but beats taking a photo of a fish on the floor.

I bought a helmet cam last year. Was going to start making a few short video's hooking up on the fly and that,but just haven't gotten around to wearing it. Waste of money so far
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

My knees are knackered so i cant kneel anymore
ftte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ftte »

RamMount make excellent camera mounts. All ally I think except for springs and bolts. They do a great job.
http://www.ram-mount.com/EmptyPages/DIG ... fault.aspx
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

hi there,

As an alternative to a tripod, you can also use a little bag of sand, and prop the camera on top of it.
It's very stable, and you can place the camera at the angle that you want it to be. (No need to kneel down any more).
It doesn't mind the salt water or to stay in the boat overnight, thieves are rarely interested in little bag of sand...
And it is fairly cheap...

The humble little bag of sand is often used by many pro photographers.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

yeah I often use a sand bag as a rifle rest. that would work
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

I think i need a bag of sand! sounds good! might help get a few better pics when out with the kids. :cheers:
IMG_1507.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Angry
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Angry »

If your on your own , get a monopod (pole , check Ebay) & sit it in the seat spigot on the front deck, camera mounted to Monopod , click self timer.

Of course it helps if you get someone to frame it & zoom it to get a good pic BEFORE you head off, & stand in same place in baot ,,....instant self portrait/fish pics.
Angry

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you"

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Thanks angry
thats assuming ive got a seat spigot and a casting deck :D