Yammi or suzi?

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Yammi or suzi?

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

looking at either a yamaha 80hp or a suzuki 80hp both for around the same rice not sure what to go with.. What does everyone reckon is the better option??

Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Yammi or suzi?

Post by Jer »

Both are as reliable as the other. And there are plenty of people in Darwin qualified to service them.

Yamaha is 1.6L and Suzuki is 1.5L so not a lot of difference there. There is a difference in weight though, the Yamaha being 15kg heavier than the Suzuki at ~170kg compared to ~155kg respectively.

Are you limited by HP and/or price? The Yamaha F90 and F100 are the exact same motor as the F80 (the F90 only being released this year and might be special order) and the Suzuki DF90 is the same motor as the DF80.

I don't proclaim to be an expert when it comes to motors so please don't take what I say with any authority. There are plenty of other people on the forum who know a lot more than I do.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

You couldn't have narrowed it down to 2 engines any better....

Both brands as good as the other, perhaps base your decision on after sales stuff like warranty, servicing cost etc. Check out if you need much extra gear to hook the nmea bus of each engine to your compatible sounder. (i know the suzi cable is about $280, or you can make your own for about $40) You might want a range of props, check out the prices of each.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

either or
I wish that the manufacturers would bring in set prices.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

I like the Yamaha but I think that is a Ford v Holden thing in this case, you have picked the two market leaders and in the Horsepower range they both excel in, just my opinion though. As jer mentioned though if your hull rating and budget can allow for it I would go the higher hp for no weight penalty every time, you always wish you had done it after the fact. Usually when you start out on a big trip carrying a gut load of weight.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

All the guides are going back to yammis after having suzuki. Have seen 4 of them bolt yamahas on this month.
Kaos364
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kaos364 »

I upgraded from an older model DF140 to an F150 earlier in the year... At the time, the dealer was telling me that the Yamaha's were underated with HP output and the Zooks were overated. I put this down to sales pitch, but I will say that the difference seemed to be a LOT more than 10hp. Picked up 8 knots in top speed (35 to 43) when height adjusted and propped correctly, even though I paid a 36kg weight penalty with the Yammie (183kg to 219kg). Yamahas also seem to be a little quieter than the Zook. But, as said above, it really comes down to personal choice, and I wouldn't hesitate to own either of those brands if I was in the market for a new motor again.

Cheers,

Mick
justlearning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by justlearning »

I went with Suzuki.
The add said its the worlds
Best 4 Stoke.
Also Choice of 2 dealers in town.