Well organised tackle boxes and storage

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Well organised tackle boxes and storage

Post by theodosius »

Hi guys, how do you organise your fishing gear on the boat and at home? I just have a container of tackle trays vaguely sorted into lure types but I'd be interested to see some of the better systems. Cheers!

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Well organised tackle boxes and storage

Post by Lats »

I have a heap of tackle trays inside a large plastic tub. Keeps them dry all the time. 1 tray of small lures (mixed). 4 or 5 trays of Reidy's by size/type. 1 tray of classics and barra baits. 1 of vibes. 1 for knife jigs/slugs and one for octo jigs. And a heap of stuff still in packets. And probably more that I have forgotten about. And one for softies that goes under the floor of the boat to keep cool

My second plastic tub houses my lip grips, pliers, knives, terminal tackle tray, leader, brag mat, paper etc etc

If someone stole my lure box, I would be devastated. I have 1 lure that would have 40 scalps on it. 30 of which would be over 90cm
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Similar set up for me heaps of tackle trays all sorted into types such as deep, shallow, slat, fresh and a bag of various softies which reminds me the zip is busted. O! and a medium size flower pot for sinkers.

When I go on a trip I load the boat with 3 or 4 suitable trays. These stow in an under floor compartment just under my feet.

Knives and diamond steel stay in a butchers knife pouch screwed into the side of the consul.

Cheers grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers Lats and Grumpy
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Mine start out same as grumpy's but by the end of the day its a poop fight :D lures everywhere
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Great conversation thread.

Currently I use a waterproof duffel bag with trays sorted by colour, for salt and plastics. The duffel bag also fits my sounder and tray of pliers etc making it easy to carry up two flights of stairs. Its okay but not the greatest. My main dilemma is that it is getting full. So I am thinking of reducing what I carry up and down stairs and have two thoughts.

The first is to keep some in boat but need to make a lockable box to do so. The downside is that it could lead to more purchasing and hording and generally carrying around more gear than I need.

The second is to store lures at home and just pack a few trays for each trip with lures that I intend to specifically use for that trip. This would require additional organising and possible frustration on the water if I decide not to pack (or forget) a particular lure(s) that I have and find myself wanting to use.

Is carrying more or less better?
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

I always carry more, rather than less.

Myn HB lure trays are generally organised by lure type, eg. Bombers, Classics, Reidy's and Halco. Each tray is generally then sorted into diving depths and sizes.
In my other trays I run one for top water/surface lures and another for my fancy imports such as Lucky Craft etc. I do have a dedicated tray which I only keep for the Harbour runs and these are an assortment of smaller HB's only.

MY SP's are sorted into separate sealable containers which hold only the same brand such as Squidgy slick rigs and spare fish. All my plastics remain in their original packets inside the containers, accept Gulps which I have just thrown into 4 separate gulp tubs with juice to hold prawns, flick baits, grubs and minnows.

I won't lie when I say I have a sh!t load of vibes in several other smaller trays arranged by weight, size and manufacturer.
Jig heads are arranged into 4 separate large trays which are generally med-large (deep water), small-med (mid-shallow water), weedless (all sizes) and I run another dedicated tray for harbour fishing.

I try and pack specific to the area I'm targeting. eg. Big rivers, Harbour/flats, offshore.

Richie
Mad KEEN!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I have one of those large 3 draw filing cabinet in my man cave. Top draws contains a dozen trays of lures seperated into brands and depths. Second draw has my Bluewater lures, slices, jigs and all brand new lures in boxes when I have stocked up when on special etec. The bottom draw has on my spare reels, spare hooks, odds and sods.

I usually throw 3-4 trays in my tackle bag depending on why I go.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers Richie. I have so many lures, but all i seem to use all year are green b52, KO weedless in grey or white, rooster poppers and chrome slugs. A tray of those would be easy to pack and unpack!
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

balou wrote:I have one of those large 3 draw filing cabinet in my man cave. Top draws contains a dozen trays of lures seperated into brands and depths. Second draw has my Bluewater lures, slices, jigs and all brand new lures in boxes when I have stocked up when on special etec. The bottom draw has on my spare reels, spare hooks, odds and sods.

Can't have too much tackle hey?

How do you manage replacing hooks? Do you just do it on the water as needed or perform a batch of maintenance on everything?
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

dannett wrote:
balou wrote:I have one of those large 3 draw filing cabinet in my man cave. Top draws contains a dozen trays of lures seperated into brands and depths. Second draw has my Bluewater lures, slices, jigs and all brand new lures in boxes when I have stocked up when on special etec. The bottom draw has on my spare reels, spare hooks, odds and sods.

Can't have too much tackle hey?

How do you manage replacing hooks? Do you just do it on the water as needed or perform a batch of maintenance on everything?
I'm have never replaced hooks on the water, just do a periodic mantainance on all the gear.
I only use a dozen lures nowdays so most of the time I carry a couple of each.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

I made a new years resolution "Don't buy anymore Farrrking lures"

I have about a dozen trays full and at least 50 to 60 brand new lures still in packets stored in my cave. For that rainy day :banghead: :banghead:

Cheers grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

Well i bet after the KO tackle sale everyone has a few more new lures they have to find spots for!!
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

I had a alloy box made that holds 10 trays that sits onder my seat on a rear centre console boat . Its easy to lift in and out and keeps things dry and also acts as a foot rest while travelling
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Fitzy do you have a photo?