Roper mud crabs have 'rebounded'

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Roper mud crabs have 'rebounded'

Post by AM »

Good news about the crabs But not to sure about the catching Australian crabs for 9 monthes of the year and go home to the fam for three presumably with all the money. I would have to think about morals of that more but the amount of stuff that we allow here that wouldn’t fly anywhere else in the world is going to be to our detriment so time in the near future.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Roper mud crabs have 'rebounded'

Post by NinjaFish »

I have to agree with you there AM.

It would be hard pressing though to find an Aussie to work that hard in the Gulf on crabs as they're not as suited to the climate nor to the hours nowadays let alone working 24/7 for that long as you have to work with every tide (no days or shift off or the crab gets cooked in the sun on low tides).

I'm not saying that it isn't possible and it would be great for the NT economy figures and even local families or a well set business but it would be the toughest gig and one hell of an existence to reside and work in especially in a bad season.

Imagine trying to manage an employee or many, with the conditions/fatigue hours etc with a union breathing down your neck - more workers to cover the hours/shifts and an increase in cost per kilo due to food, accomodation and their endless employee requirements and rights.

Those dollars are worth s*#t loads more there overseas and I already know some Aussies that have moved to the Phillipines that are fly in out workers to mine sites in the NT and have nearly as much money as royalty over there at their new homes and are treated like Kings when they arrive back.

Have to ask how that question one day how that happens to be cheaper for the big mining companies and how the Government managed to let that one slip by.

Seriously, FIFO from the Phillipines???? Even for Aussies!!!!

There is a serious flaw here and probably should be investigated.

It's been sewn up for so long now in some areas it would take the military to move the 'said'.
And from what Iv'e seen, dangerous territory to tread.