Native fish making comeback

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Native fish making comeback

Post by NBN »

My own anecdotal 'surveys'; fishing, confirm to me that Cod in particular are back in a big way in North West Slopes & Plains and the New England regions of NSW. In fact, places where once (80's) I only caught the odd trout are now loaded with Cod.

Interestingly, here on the Mid North Coast we are experiencing a phenomenal Bass season, the best in the past decade or longer according to a local guide. He has boated over 10 river fish in the 50cm+ category and a stupid amount in the high 40's.

For those of you who are yawning, a 50cm bass is a barra metery. A 60 would be commensurate with a 125 or so.

We've gotta take what we can get down here.....

:catch:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That's serious river bass!

Cod in the rivers too?
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

They sure are Matt.

Yes, I was referring to the rivers; eg. Peel, Namoi, MacDonald, Macintyre, Severn, Gwydir and their associated catchments. Even tiny systems like Dungowan creek that contained the odd rainbow are now great little surface cod fisheries.

Makes me very happy to witness all this unfolding. As I have written on here previously; in the 80's I thought Cod were finished in some of these systems.
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

nice to here fish populations coming back in the country somewhere all these peoples efforts making a difference
:cheers: