Jewfish research seminar

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Jewfish research seminar

Post by Matt Flynn »

Staff from NT Fisheries, Department of Primary Industry, Fisheries and Mines (DPIFM) will be presenting the results of recent research on black jewfish in two seminars in coming weeks.

The first talk, by Michael Phelan, will be held in the John England Building at the Berrimah Research Farm, Darwin on Friday August 31 starting at 3:15pm (follow signage).

The 40 minute presentation will cover the following topics: age/size frequency of locally caught jewfish, reproductive biology of Northern Australian jewfish, 3D mapping of key aggregation sites around Darwin, acoustic tagging and movement patterns, effects of barotrauma on the catch and release of jewfish and future research and monitoring needs.

All are welcome and bookings are not necessary.

The second talk, to be given by DPIFM graduate Dylan Campbell, will be held at the Browns Mart Community Arts Centre, 12 Smith Street, Darwin on Wednesday September 5 starting at 4pm.

Dylan’s 10 minute presentation, part of the CSIRO Cutting Edge Lecture Series, will explain the keys findings of the jewfish barotrauma study, including the effects of catching fish from different depths.

Please contact Vanessa Boxhall at the Darwin CSIRO Science Education Centre (ph 8944 8494) if you wish to attend Dylan’s talk.

punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Matt, do you know if these presentations will be recorded?
I would love to see them but have no hope with the time structure, I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat :wink:
Thanks, James.
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

seminar

Post by Matt Flynn »

Here's the answer from Michael Phelan ....

In regards to the questions - please find answers below.

Question 1. (Under presentation to be held on 31 Aug) - will the presentation be recorded - answer is yes - a podcast will be available from the DPIFM website - following BARC Seminar links on home page. (Matt, I will forward a direct email address when the podcast is uploaded). Also, further presentations at fishing clubs etc will follow within the next six months (Matt, I will send details on those open to the general public).

Question 2. (Under presentation to be held 5 Sept) - will there be a chat about release methods - answer is yes with advice tailor made for jewfish.

Cheers

Michael Phelan
Senior Fisheries Scientist
Coastal Research Unit
Fisheries, DPIFM
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

That's excellent Matt, please pass on my thanks to Michael too. Good work :mrgreen:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

jewfish

Post by Matt Flynn »

Don't forget the seminar today. I can't make it but I will be looking at the recording and interviewing Michael Phelan for the Sunday Territorian newspaper.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Well it seems all of our good intentions are wasted with releasing jewies if they are caught in more than 10mtrs of water

The seminar was very good and the research has shown that fish caught in water deeper than 10mtrs have VERY low survival rates.... And that thing that pops out their mouth is NOT its swim bladder... it is the poor buggers stomach :shock: :shock: inside out no less.

so in short if you want to do the right thing by the jewie... only catch what you are going to take/eat... once you have enough STOP FISHING......

Oh and use circle hooks too as the fish are hooked in the lip most of the time (for fish released in under 10mtrs of water)
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

2RODS was their any mention of using release weights????
Regards Dick
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Thats terrible news. I was hoping that they would have some sort of proven release technique. Like Dick mentioned, has anything been mentioned about the weightrd release?
Would it still do any good though. I mean most of the times their stomach is peirced by their teeth.
Not good news for the jewy though. :(
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Dick wrote:2RODS was their any mention of using release weights????

Yes there was but it is only effective in under 10mrts of water..... they need to be released quickly and put down to the bottom ASAP with a BIG release weight..

As for the deeper fish .... the damage is done :cry: :cry: :cry:

The report should also end up on you tube..
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

The report should also end up on you tube..
Anyone know if this has happened yet??
Regards Dick
Hayruss
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hayruss »

Looks as if the video and powerpoint presentations have been removed off the DPIFM web server.

I have asked the question of the research scientist (Michael) to see if they have been placed on another server or Youtube. But a quick search on Google has not discovered anything. :(

Will repost when I find out more.

Cheers
H
Hayruss
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hayruss »

Super quick response fom the guys at DPIFM here is the updated link to the jewfish presentation video. :grin:

Cheers H

http://www.nt.gov.au/dpifm/barc/2008/1/

:fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy:
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Much appreciated :smile: :smile: :smile:
Regards Dick