Jewfish barotrauma study presentation

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Jewfish barotrauma study presentation

Post by Matt Flynn »

DPIFM graduate Dylan Campbell will present a seminar on jewfish barotrauma findings at the Browns Mart Community Arts Centre, 12 Smith Street, Darwin on Wednesday, September 5, starting at 4pm.

Dylan’s 10 minute presentation, part of the CSIRO Cutting Edge Lecture Series, will explain the keys findings of the jewfish barotrauma study, including the effects of catching fish from different depths.

Contact Vanessa Boxhall at the Darwin CSIRO Science Education Centre (ph 8944 8494) if you wish to attend Dylan’s talk.

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Matt do you know if there'll be any mention on release techniques with barotrauma in mind i.e release weights??
Regards Dick
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

seminar

Post by Matt Flynn »

I would not know Dick, might be worth mentioning to them, or we could do something here on the forum.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Matt are people talking about or using weights up there on barotrauma fish?
Regards Dick
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Never heard of it up here Dick. Nothing like down Perth way on the jewies.

Would be very interesting to try on our Black Jewies actually. They dont go back well for that exact reason. Might pm Sam Walker and see if he can drag one up for me on the plane. :wink:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Weights

Post by jasonmcc »

I have a tied a hook onto a piece of line hanging of an anchor and used it for getting fish with inflated air bladders back down. I squash the barb and just hook it into a real soft small piece on its mouth.

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

G'day Dodgy

The info on the mulloway down south may be more relevant to black jews. But cod and other fish up there may react much the same as dhuies down south. What fish do you think could do with an assist back to the bottom to reduce the symptoms?

pic of dhuie going back down off Perth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Dick
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Was thinking of the Black Jewies primarily Dick. Most common fish you are going to catch alot of and want to put a few back. Big cod are the only other fish that springs to mind.

Do you have a link to the research? I know that the Mullas that the guys were getting from the shore of the Swan went back ok but the one caught from a boat in the deep areas gave trouble.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

I'll ask at that 'other place' and see if someone can come up with that info
Regards Dick
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Hi Dick

I have some first hand experience releasing Mulloway in 15-20 metres of water in the Swan. A few general comments.

You need a bl..dy good sized release weight to get a big momma back down quickly and effectively. Small release weights don't cut the mustard.

Getting them down is no guarantee that they will survive. We have sent them down and pulled the release weight free thinking all was well only the hear about a big fish washed up on the shore next morning. Suspect it was the fish we released.

I suspect the duration of the fight seems to effect the outcome. Get em up quick ( easier said than done sometimes) and they stand a better chance. Let the fight drag on and they don't seem to have the energy left to start swimming on their own again even if you shoot them back down to neutral boyancy depth.

Just my observations. I believe the northern Mulloway has more stamina so maybe they would fare better?
Got this back, (as you noted :grin: )

Seems to summarise the responses pretty much. two biggest impacts is exhaustion and barotrauma, got to deal with both to get a successful release
Regards Dick