Anson Bay fish kill

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Anson Bay fish kill

Post by Matt Flynn »

There has been a big fish kill in Anson Bay, along the coast. I am told there are hundreds, if not thousands, of dead fish.

I am told a possible algal bloom ("coral spawn") is blowing into the coast in large amounts, which may have something to do with it.

We don't hear of too many open water fish kills, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

The Fish Kill Hotline has been informed.

More to report in due course ...

Lumborghini
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Anson Bay fish kill

Post by Lumborghini »

What type of fish Matt?
I was out wide of perons a couple of weeks back and the dead algae was gettin pretty thick. didnt smell real good.
Lumbo,

If i'm too drunk to walk I'll rock the party on crutches...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Several types of fish from what I understand. Hopefully photos will lob in due course.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Few pix here courtesy Helifish of the bloom that presumably caused the fish kill. A few distressed and dead powertails visible.

Details soon of fish species and approximate numbers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Helifish pilot Mark Rolle said: "The kill was either side of and inside the first creek south of Dochertys Creek, we call it Channel Marker Creek.
"There were thousands of fish.
"There was one clear spot about 50m round in the creek with none of the floating algae and there were about 300 barra grouped there and getting air near the surface.
"The barra seemed to have found the only 'manhole' through the surface coating of algae.
"There were some dead big fish but it was mostly small fish - we saw Powertail, mullet and blue salmon. The coast had dead fish about 1km either side of the creek.
"The fish had their heads out of the water, trying to get air.
"It looked like the bloom had been blown into the creek.
"The other creeks nearby didn't have dead fish but the fishing was fairly quiet.
"We took a sample of the water - the floating stuff was bright red like blood, and there was green stuff as well."