Post by Matt Flynn »

FFF FotoFish 2017 July Thread ... pelagics month :mrgreen:

Post up July pix on this thread :cheers:

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Daly Mouth and Fog Bay from the air - with jets

Post by nomad »

I was aboard a KC30A RAAF flight yesterday and we flew over the Daly Mouth and Fog Bay. Every time i tried to get a photo of the river, the view was blocked up to 20 F/A18’s who kept popping up besides us to refuel 8) 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Daly Mouth and Fog Bay from the airEvery time i tried to

Post by jeffish »

Cool Pix Mark , would've been a great experience .

I Luv Jet Noise 8)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

What an experience that would have been :mrgreen:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Thanks fellas. Im still buzzing. Its the 2nd time in 2 years that ive been invited by RAAF onto the base and their jets. its really funny because its classed as a domestic flight, they still book you in, check contents of bags and they even have the Flight attendants - RAAF personnel dressed in cammo of course.
ive got to say its the best in-flight entertainment ever!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Daly Mouth and Fog Bay from the air - with jets

Post by dannett »

nomad wrote:I was aboard a KC30A RAAF flight yesterday and we flew over the Daly Mouth and Fog Bay. Every time i tried to get a photo of the river, the view was blocked up to 20 F/A18’s who kept popping up besides us to refuel 8) 8)
That's pretty inconsiderate of them!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

dannett wrote:
nomad wrote:I was aboard a KC30A RAAF flight yesterday and we flew over the Daly Mouth and Fog Bay. Every time i tried to get a photo of the river, the view was blocked up to 20 F/A18’s who kept popping up besides us to refuel 8) 8)
That's pretty inconsiderate of them!
exactly. here i am trying to get some nice landscape pics and boom!

there are more here if you're interested https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mudskipper- ... 6835626775
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

nomad wrote:there are more here if you're interested https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mudskipper- ... 6835626775
Nice. How long was the run from the crossing to the mouth?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

to be honest i didnt really time it. we were cruising at 600 km/h and i was really concentrating on the jets more than the landscape.
last year we just cruised over the Adelaide river area and it was just a flight for us in the media squad. there were 4x US F16 and only 2 x FA18 and they did the refuel and left.
This year we were up for 4 1/2 hrs and actually part of the exercise. each jet refuelled 5 times. they do their manouvers at full noise with afterburners on for most of the time.
I was flat out keeping the jets in focus/frame etc and then you would notice the landscape below had changed.
there are only a few seconds between the time when one jet would pull out and another would hook up.

these fellas were the best of the best and the equivalent to the US Top Gun school. only one had to take 2 attempts to insert the probe. all others just flew straight in. There was a tv show on last night about the US boys and most had to do 3 attempts.
If the aussie boys dont get it first time everytime, its a carton each.

we had the FA18 display pilot on board with us to talk about the finer details of tanking. he sat down with each of us and we had a one-on-one discussion.
very interesting people.

in the 4hr exercise, the tanker transferred 18 tonnes of fuel to the jets
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

nomad wrote:to be honest i didnt really time it. we were cruising at 600 km/h and i was really concentrating on the jets more than the landscape.
last year we just cruised over the Adelaide river area and it was just a flight for us in the media squad. there were 4x US F16 and only 2 x FA18 and they did the refuel and left.
This year we were up for 4 1/2 hrs and actually part of the exercise. each jet refuelled 5 times. they do their manouvers at full noise with afterburners on for most of the time.
I was flat out keeping the jets in focus/frame etc and then you would notice the landscape below had changed.
there are only a few seconds between the time when one jet would pull out and another would hook up.

these fellas were the best of the best and the equivalent to the US Top Gun school. only one had to take 2 attempts to insert the probe. all others just flew straight in. There was a tv show on last night about the US boys and most had to do 3 attempts.
If the aussie boys dont get it first time everytime, its a carton each.

we had the FA18 display pilot on board with us to talk about the finer details of tanking. he sat down with each of us and we had a one-on-one discussion.
very interesting people.

in the 4hr exercise, the tanker transferred 18 tonnes of fuel to the jets
That's pretty amazing, would have been a great spectacle to be a part of.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

What an amazing experience!
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Awesome......have been noticing alot more in RAAF in the skies over the last couple of weeks, how long are their exercises planned on running for?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

This was Ex Diamond Storm – went for the whole of June just for RAAF - it was our equivalent of the yank top gun school. these were the best of our best. The yanks have one still going on and then we have Talisman Sabre for the whole of July. Still trying to get into TS
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

nomad wrote:This was Ex Diamond Storm – went for the whole of June just for RAAF - it was our equivalent of the yank top gun school. these were the best of our best. The yanks have one still going on and then we have Talisman Sabre for the whole of July. Still trying to get into TS
Isn't this a Pitch Black year?
lozzel
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Landed another one.

Post by lozzel »

My family went out all day yesterday and late into the night. When my son finally landed one of these amazing creatures. It’s a very young “Granddaughter” which is closely related to the “Grandson’s” that have also been landed over the years. This granddaughter measured in at 45cms and 3kgs (6lb 6oz) in weight. Being of legal size, my son decided to keep this one at home to see if it will grow the same as his last “Granddaughter”, Now “Granddad” needs to buy another pink rod. Life’s good.
8)