Lowrance sounders which one

mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lowrance sounders which one

Post by mike davis »

Looking at buying a new sounder and am trying to decide between a hds 7 gen 3 or an elite 9 ti, besides the price which one is the better unit. I've looked at the specs and it all looks the same to me.

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lowrance sounders which one

Post by jabsy »

The HDS. The Elite doesn't have NMEA in case you want to hook it up to your engine, sound system etc (or another sounder down the track)
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

Cheers jabsy was leaning towards the hds
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

I think units above 5 in the elite ti range include NMEA 2000.

The Elite ti 9 features v cost is hard to beat in my view.
Redshaw83

Post by Redshaw83 »

I have the elite 7 TI. Has NMEA connection. Have had trouble with the screen not responding to touch if finger is a bit greasy or damp. I will be going the HDS 9 Gen 3 as soon as I have the cash to through at it. As soon as you get a bit of spray on the screen it doesn't respond to any touch commands and is unusable. May just be my unit but I am not a fan of the touch screen only.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Yep, my bad. I thought they only had NMEA 0183. Reading into it, it looks like it has full engine management.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Good info/point Redshaw83; I wasn't aware they were touch only. Have since read a few similar complaints from the US.

So no spray, rain or KFC and you're good to go.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

If you want better target resolution and detail spend the extra coin and go a HDS 9 or larger I run a 7 and a 12 on my tinny and have got 3x12's (GEN 3 units) on my bay boat.
Attached is a pic showing the features available on the individual models. May help you decide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mad KEEN!
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

So you can use the totalscan transducer with the hds gen3 instead of having two separate transducers
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

mike davis wrote:So you can use the totalscan transducer with the hds gen3 instead of having two separate transducers
That's correct mate.

The tranny will give you chirp sonar as well as structure scan and down scan. You won't get 3D obviously.

Richie
Mad KEEN!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

very good at speed as well. I have 2 transducers on both boats. the barra boat will read at full noise while the glass boat stops reading around 40km/h. both trannys are set up the same location and depth.

i saw a youtube vid on how to set the new trannnys and they are almost out of the water.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Wherever you mount the transducers depending on which way you go, be aware of the cone angles and any interference that may get caught within the sonar beam.
I made the mistake of mounting my 3D tranny a bit too high and it catches the rear most stern of the boat leaving a black spot when I'm side scanning out 50m plus to the left...... It sux.

Richie
Mad KEEN!
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Hey Richie, another question for you, have you used ya 3D much? I thought it would go off when it was released, but there's very little talk of it. Thought it would be awesome for blue water, and ok for Barra.
But it's been out for more than a year now, there's very little new videos on it on you tube. And even less chatter on it.
Maybe it isn't as good as it looks, I think it's odd that you don't hear anyone singing it's praises
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

mickkk wrote:Hey Richie, another question for you, have you used ya 3D much? I thought it would go off when it was released, but there's very little talk of it. Thought it would be awesome for blue water, and ok for Barra.
But it's been out for more than a year now, there's very little new videos on it on you tube. And even less chatter on it.
Maybe it isn't as good as it looks, I think it's odd that you don't hear anyone singing it's praises
To be honest mate I haven't used it all that much just yet. Well, not in the way you'd expect. I don't use it all that much to find fish targets but I use it mainly for identifying ledges and finding the drop offs. Especially when I'm on the leccy working a long ledge.
3D shows up bait schools holding up really well so I also use it to identify bait or confirmation of what I'm seeing on my side imaging.
Bottom contours are also easier to confirm instead of trying to rely on side imaging. I think it's a great tool to be had, especially in deeper water.

Richie
Mad KEEN!