EPIRB Disposal

dorey76
Gold Member
Gold Member

EPIRB Disposal

Post by dorey76 »

I have an expired EPIRB that I have deactivated and was curious as to where can I dispose of it? What do other do with their expired EPIRB?

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: EPIRB Disposal

Post by jabsy »

Was it a GME? How long ago did it expire? If it expired late last year then it may be within the recall period, and you might be able to get a new one for nix.

is it 406 or 121? If its 121 I'd just pull the battery and recycle the battery, the rest in the dump.

If it was a 406 you could probably replace the battery and keep it for camping etc. Its about $180 to replace the battery from GME , but if you were only gonna use it camping etc then it'd be worth the risk to replace it yourself I reckon. The battery would only be $30 or $40, I might pull one of my old ones apart.
dorey76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dorey76 »

It's a GME 406 but just falls outside the recall serial numbers. Didn't seem to cost effective to send back to GME for a replacement so I've already purchased a new 406 GPS EPIRB.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Any police station will take them
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
dorey76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dorey76 »

Thanks for the replies gents. AMSA told me to take it to Battery World. I'll try the cop shop instead since that's 300km away.