Mud Crab ID Page

Catch and cook a seafood buffet, with or without barramundi.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Mud Crab ID Page

Post by Matt Flynn »

The four main species of mud crabs are listed here ... which ones have you caught?

http://mangrove.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/text/2044.htm

punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Interesting Matt, I didn't realise there were more than one species :o
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
natural sparks
Seadog
Seadog

Post by natural sparks »

next time i drop my 4 pots in singas harbour i will surely be checking what i have cort
When I grow up I can't wait to be a grown up...........
Niglet
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Mud Crab ID Page

Post by Niglet »

interesting did not know there were different species will take more notice next time i get a few
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

the only different species of crab I've caught required....hang on this is a family forum :lol:
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Im pretty certain that we have all 4 species here in Darwin. I can account for at least 3 definatly but the green mud crab is questionable. Cant magnify the picture to clarify for shore.

The orange one is frequint in Tapa bay. The purple one I have caught in rapid creek although not for a while and the giant mud crabs frequint the harbor and Adelaide river. I think the green ones are from shoal bay but not sure.

Are they all recorded here Matt or am I being fooled by colour variation of the shell depending on the season and weather they are shedding or not? :cheers:
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

http://fishingterritory.com/crabs-f1006 ... 18729.html
Have caught the orange and the giant species. Was with Ponyplay the day he caught this unusual species a few years ago.......
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Gday Cuddles - the official line is that there are only two species, but it may be possible the other two are found in Australia on occasion. The purple one is difficult to identify from the normal mud crab.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Matt Flynn wrote:Gday Cuddles - the official line is that there are only two species, but it may be possible the other two are found in Australia on occasion. The purple one is difficult to identify from the normal mud crab.
Interesting. The couple of purple ones I have seen are a fairly distinctive colour difference and slightly varied claw shape. I paid a bit of attention because I thought they were unusual and hadn't seen them before. The photo on the green crab is the one that is confusing because that yellow pattern is pressent on a lot of jennys and not so much the bucks. I guess the fisheries should have picked the different ones up while checking the pro crabbers if all the species were here though so I guess it could be natural colour variation and not different species. Will have to take some photos and get some i.d's done. :mrgreen:
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

Have a look in the fish finder and it show,s we have 4 differant type,s of muddy,s with picy,s.
Tassie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tassie »

Thanks Matt
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

The red ones (Scylla olivacea) we call Rambo Crabs. Savage little buggers. The only ones I've seen that will jump at and chase you. I haven’t got any of these this year. Previous years with better than average rainfall there has been heaps.