Is this the famous 8m croc photo

ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Is this the famous 8m croc photo

Post by ponyplay »

Good reading this, funny how every one seems to have a different spot for the biggest seen. One thing seems to be common they are all cunning buggers and boat shy .
Wat about that big bugger from katherine gorge , rouge was its nic name i think

Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

lincoln said
The other one was last month in Carmor. Some one had thrown some fish carcasses onto the frist barrage and as we were cruising along with the minn kota we saw this monster half out of the water trying to climb the barrage. it receded into the water before i could get the camera out so i was spewin. we only saw half of it but it looked easily 5m+. be careful anyone camping on their boats down that way.
We seen it up on the bank :shock: :shock: and hangen around the barrage the weekend we seen you guys out there and I'm with you it's a monster
of a thing, and I'll back your 5.5 with a + big fat and black :shock:
Also a few bigguns in the MRB lagoon usually attached to a cow/steer.
:cheers: :cheers:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Young 1rod got to see a big boy at Adelaide river today... Maybe 4.5mtrs...

Came home and told mum it was about 10t and bigger than the boat....hahaha

It did make him stay inside the boat more but...
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
myusernam

Post by myusernam »

yeah. the one at normantan. must have been a genetic freak or something
itzdkid
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by itzdkid »

Few dinosaurs on Mary river billabong, as far down as you can go befor it splits. Easily 4.5-5 big grey ghosts. Slide off the sandbars before you can get close enough for a shot though. Few massive freshies as well, look different to the ones in Katherine gorge though. Like with anywhere, if they're the ones you see imagine the ones you dont. :D
I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.
barra bro
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barra bro »

heard some stories about that croc like it was to big to bring back to camp and when they cut its head off it nearly sunk their boat i don't know if its true but it is a huge croc and that Norman river holds big things like that big barra they caught over there and i still remember that croc a mob saw in the Finniss river just before the run off they reckon it was like sweetheart the 2nd but i dont know about that :croc: :rofl: :rofl:
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Hopefully next time i will have the camera ready to go if i do come across one!![/quote]

The fresh water Finniss at hard castle road has the biggest one I have ever seen. I have seen a few 5m ones at shady and on the Adelaide but the one in there makes them look like geckos in comparison. Just the pure girth and width between the eyes makes him more intimidating than the others by far. Only seen him twice and both times he too was on the hoof before I could get near it. Only seen him on sun rise and when there has been no boat traffic so I guess it has remembered the days of hunting. Spooky piece of water there. He likes the deep bends upstream just before that little creek on the right as you are going upstream. The one with a sandy mouth and a pandanus tree in the front. The bend is full of snags and at least 6m deep with big steep banks. First thing in the morning with the mist rising off the water. Sends a shiver down the spine. :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :croc:[/quote]

I have seen this one too in the Finniss in exactly the spot you mention, the 90 degree bend with the timber before the creek, black water and timber comes out to middle of bend. It was back in the mid 90's with Dave Ashfeild in his. 5mtr boat and the size of this things big black head had even Dave saying it was the biggest he had seen. Will never forget that. Seen some that would be easy 5m on the East.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
tojo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by tojo »

This one's pretty big. Hunted at night from his tiny home made boat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoNwjPDG6cg
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

tojo wrote:This one's pretty big. Hunted at night from his tiny home made boat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoNwjPDG6cg

Hmm...........interesting "soundtrack"...........
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Got some footage and a couple of happy snaps of this big old tank on the Daly a few years ago. We nick named him Honey Badger!

Have seen a few decent specimens on the Daly and a massive unit near the end of the cutting at TC junction. But I know this guy below was up there as my mate (who is a guide) actually pulled over and let me take photos. He reckons around the 5m mark.

Plenty of larger models around for sure but this guy let us right into the circle of trust......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

NBN wrote:Got some footage and a couple of happy snaps of this big old tank on the Daly a few years ago. We nick named him Honey Badger!

Have seen a few decent specimens on the Daly and a massive unit near the end of the cutting at TC junction. But I know this guy below was up there as my mate (who is a guide) actually pulled over and let me take photos. He reckons around the 5m mark.

Plenty of larger models around for sure but this guy let us right into the circle of trust......

We saw one in the Daly in 98' after the floods in Katherine that was big...........I was in the boat with Harold who has been there since the 70's and he'd never seen one so big either..........it was pitch black and looked like it had been washed out of a billabong with the floodwater...and it was "fast" cruising in the middle of the river down near the cattle yards it was definatly travelling somewhere..........I won't say how big we actually agreed on but it was well over 5mtrs........well over