Pipi bandits busted

Tell us about boat ramp vandals, crab pot share farmers, and others who snatched your tackle.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Pipi bandits busted

Post by Matt Flynn »

Queensland Government

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

Media Release

$2,400 fines for overfishing pipis

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol officers found 1,763 pipis when they intercepted five recreational fishers in a 4WD vehicle on North Stradbroke Island.

With a possession limit of 50 pipis per person in Queensland, the fishers were legally allowed to collect only 250.

Two of the recreational fishers from Brisbane were charged for taking excess pipis and each fined $1,200 in the Cleveland Magistrates Court.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol field officer Chris Watts said the three other fishers who were overseas tourists had left Australia before legal action commenced.

“QBFP received information about a group of fishers collecting pipis on Main Beach at North Stradbroke Island on 14 July 2015,” Mr Watts said.

“Officers intercepted a vehicle and discovered three eskies containing a total of 1,763 pipis.

“The vehicle’s driver said the shellfish were collected for personal use.

“All the pipis were counted and released alive back on the Main Beach at North Stradbroke Island.”

Mr Watts reminded fishers that a combined possession limit of 50 applied to bivalve molluscs and gastropods including pipis, mud whelks and cockles.

“Possession limits include any that have been collected previously and have not yet been consumed,” Mr Watts said.

“For example, if you have 25 pipis at home, you can only take and keep another 25.”

Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Pipi bandits busted

Post by Jeno »

Let me guess.....chinese?????
No matter where you go, there you are!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

When you were allowed to take them above the high tide mark in NSW I used to collect 20kg at a time. Salt them down heavily and put into jars. Ready bait when ever I needed it for months. I used to also collect them for a pro. Carrying 30kg in each arm over a big sand dune is good exercise lol
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Ha, in Adelaide they had vending machine at the servo, you put in 60c and out fell a pint of fresh pipis, no digging needed :)
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Matt Flynn wrote:Ha, in Adelaide they had vending machine at the servo, you put in 60c and out fell a pint of fresh pipis, no digging needed :)
That's cheating... I had pretty tough feet back then... and a sore back. Done many a dance when the sand crabs were around too