Murder charge for burglar's captor

Tell us about boat ramp vandals, crab pot share farmers, and others who snatched your tackle.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Murder charge for burglar's captor

Post by Matt Flynn »

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act ... 2af6e9baa5

Posted because some on here have speculated what they would do to petty criminals if caught in the act.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Murder charge for burglar's captor

Post by nomad »

I often cringe when people state here and elsewhere in writing what they would do in the circumstances. A court would see this as premeditated and you would be in deep poop.

Whatever actions you plan to do, DON’T tell the world in writing!
There are very clear laws as to how much action you can take. Learn them and act appropriately.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I read today how he coppers overheard him telling the intruder how he was going to kill him. He followed him outside and continued the beating. Thats why he is being charged
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Yeah, its all about when the "threat" exists. Same as the rules of engagement with weapons. Anyway, I bet there is a lot more to come out of this story
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

One thing the law doesn't take into account is the probability of the threat coming back. I am not saying this justifies the killing, but it is a problem with the law. Just because the threat has left the building doesn't mean the threat is gone.
mickb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mickb »

I heard on the radio the deceased was held and beaten by the defendant and 1 other .
The murder charge will probably water down to manslaughter .
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

It will all come down to a battle of the lawyers in court. the best argument will win. If i was in his position, i would get the best i COULDNT afford.
im sure people's opinions will change in a few months when the truth comes out in court
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Matt Flynn wrote:One thing the law doesn't take into account is the probability of the threat coming back. I am not saying this justifies the killing, but it is a problem with the law. Just because the threat has left the building doesn't mean the threat is gone.
I reckon the fact that he was in old mates house and a potential threat justifies the killing, unfortunately the law doesn't see it that way. Victims certainly get a raw deal here in Australia.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yep, pummel a rapist who invades your house and you are the bad guy ... http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act ... 5bed98e7cb