The Kakadu Klash

Public and private club events - results and battle stories. And any other club news ...
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

The Kakadu Klash

Post by 2rods »

Well as some of you know Goldcan, myself and Bretto (GC's mate from Canberra) all fished the Klash last week.

It was a long haul around to the south of around 500kms :shock: but the promise of big fish seemed to make it all seem worth while.... and for the 2 non driver it might have been an esky full of cold beer that made the drive seem ok :cheers:

Anyway we went down stream the first warm up day and found a few rats in one creek and that was all.... bugger... so we rang BEAR and he drove out for a red wine and a chin wag and gave us all of his upto date info :applause: :applause:

Thanks BEAR you rock man :applause: 8-) :bow: :bow: 8-)

We went up stream the next day but still we got licked....GC did drop a barra of around 90cm but that was it for that day even with the info from the master (BEAR):cry:

For the first day of the comp we went down stream and Bretto got a nice 60cm fish to get us on the board..... but everything else was to small or long distance released :roll: even after 250kms...

Day 2 had us up the rookery for zip.... yes we dropped a few fish but that doesn't count...... oh well we only did 195kms......

Day 3 we decided to head of in the dark and we made it to the rookery mouth at 0630hrs.... that was scary in the dark I can tell ya..... we fished there untill 1200hrs and only 1 fish over 55cm......bugger. so off we went and fish a creek closer to the bridge.... I got 1 rat and bretto got what we thought was a good hit... it turned out to be a 3mtr croc :shock: :shock:

anyway it was a slow few days on the river for us mob... some people did ok but there were a lot of very well known fishos who also got licked this year.... we did everything right but LUCK was not with us :lol: :lol: we flogged that water to foam but with nothing to show for it?

Maybe next time a GC :???: We had a good crew to fish with and all in all it was still better than working but I did get a few complaints about snooring.....I didn't hear a thing so maybe they were hearing things :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Paicey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paicey »

Nice report TR. Whats the water level like at the moment down there.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Paicey wrote:Nice report TR. Whats the water level like at the moment down there.

Up at the signs it was still 1mtr over the flood plains... or about half way up the sign posts.... way to much water for me.

2RODS

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

seafarer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by seafarer »

good report asame about the fishing how much longer do u think it will take for the water to get back in the creeks 2 rods? :naughty:
"hold on "
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

seafarer wrote:good report asame about the fishing how much longer do u think it will take for the water to get back in the creeks 2 rods? :naughty:
As I am no South expert I can only guess... maybe 1-2 weeks... The next set of spring tides would be worth a look. Bear would be the man to ask as he is there every few days.

2RODS

As John Wayne once said:

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Kakadu Klash official results

Post by Matt Flynn »

2007 Aurora Kakadu Klash
15 March 2007 – 17 March 2007
Official press release

The Annual Aurora Kakadu Klash for 2007 was held last Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Aurora Kakadu on the South Alligator River. This Fishing competition is unique in that it is held in the World Heritage Listed Kakadu National Park and the crews capture a photo of the fish on a special measuring board and then the fish is released.

Over the past fortnight Kakadu National Park has experienced flooding and it was considered to cancel and reschedule this event. The flood waters dropped and the Boat Ramp car park was covered in mud. With the assistance of Parks, Aurora Kakadu and Gagudju Association were able to clear the car park and access to the Boat ramp was achieved.

The other obstacle was the Arnhem Highway from Darwin which still remains closed due to major damage to the West Alligator West Branch bridge.

32 Boats and 96 Competitors made the long way round via Pine Creek and along the Kakadu highway to participate in this event.

On Thursday morning with the upstream still flooded the majority of boats headed down stream towards the mouth and the result for day one was 83 Barra landed and the biggest Barra 112cm team “ Mongrelsâ€ÂÂ