Finniss River closure

Public and private club events - results and battle stories. And any other club news ...
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Finniss River closure

Post by DOUG »

Were all loosing ATM !! Bye letting this nonsense go on it just gives others ideas that they can benefit from the government and there will be more closures untill they receive some ridiculous amount of money!
If no ones there to police it just keep fishing it
Looks like the fishing minister is more interested in checking face book! Rather than doing his job

c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

So, this is only my observation, but, the Water Police deal with rescuing us, searching for us, and checking ours and the commercial's bag limits. Enforcement of the Aboriginal Land Rights Act is a responsibility for the NT cops more widely, ie, they are all responsible for it. That said, then why would the water police be targeting the Finniss?

Surely if there is a breach, then someone can call the cops and they will send a patrol, who don't have a boat! So me thinks, unless someone makes a complaint of trespass, the Water Police will have far more important things to do.
barrabustin
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barrabustin »

That's madness.. What river system next?? Daly, east??
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Matt Flynn wrote:
They are probably talking about the police division called fisheries
Hope so, but I recall the marine section was stretched thin before these closure lines existed. Interesting if this is an added responsibility.

Re the closure line - if people ignore it the TOs may close the whole river.
They're going to do it anyway
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

it’s ok guys it’s aaalllllll about land care. :lol:
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2013/0 ... shing.html

so first it’s about people shooting pigs and stealing stuff from the homestead :hunting: , now it’s about the river and landcare.. I dunno, I can’t keep up! :captain:
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

NathanL wrote:it’s ok guys it’s aaalllllll about land care. :lol:

so first it’s about people shooting pigs and stealing stuff from the homestead :hunting: , now it’s about the river and landcare.. I dunno, I can’t keep up! :captain:
From the article........

"One traditional owner, who asked only to be known as Wunamil, said anyone who crossed the Finniss closure line would be fined.

"It's like if I went into someone's backyard and pitched a tent and lit a fire," she said."

You mean a bit like this....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drifter on Fri May 17, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

barrabustin wrote:That's madness.. What river system next?? Daly, east??

Yep!

The Moyle Rivers will be next to fall.

Daly is always on the cards. The Daly River can only be closed where the land councils own both sides of the river I believe. This can be done on certain parts of the Daly effectively splitting the river into two.

A closure could occur at any river/creek etc. that is bounded by aboriginal land. Since Blue Mud Bay this is a new tool for the land councils to extort money from the government. Your rights to fish and access the majority of the NT coastline is being used as a bargaining chip to seconder your tax dollars for the benefit of a few.

The BMB decision was about giving TO’s control over the waterways for their economic benefit and job creation. i.e. setting up fishing/crabbing or tourism enterprises. Instead, in all but a few cases (Tiwi Is), it is being used as a way for land council's to extort money without creating any employment and is only perpetuating welfare dependency.

"madness"? maybe.
Last edited by Fish Tank on Fri May 17, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Morry »

drifter wrote:
NathanL wrote:it’s ok guys it’s aaalllllll about land care. :lol:

From the article........

"One traditional owner, who asked only to be known as Wunamil, said anyone who crossed the Finniss closure line would be fined.

"It's like if I went into someone's backyard and pitched a tent and lit a fire," she said."

You mean a bit like this....

Gold!
Craig Ingram
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Craig Ingram »

barrabustin wrote:That's madness.. What river system next?? Daly, east??
In regards to the Daly River, agreements have been reached and are in place for most of the tidal reaches of the Daly River and the MacArthur River and Sir Edward Pellew group of islands in the gulf. Both of these agreements are for 20 years.

Agreements have also been reached for the Mini Mini/Murgenella area near Coburg (3 year trial) and the Kenbi area including Bynoe Harbour and parts of Darwin Harbour (in perpetuity) .

Areas that are un resolved and under discussion at the moment are the intertidal areas of the lower and upper sections of the Finniss River the Little Finniss and Fog Bay around to Channel point and the Tiwi Islands the Moyle and port Keats area as well as most of Arnhem Land.

A large number of areas are still before the courts or yet to be granted including the East, Mary, Roper and Victoria Rivers, AFANT is a party in these hearings and they are less of a problem then the pre Blue Mud Bay land grants as the issue of detriment and access is generally resolved as part of the court or government approval process.

AFANT has had a good hearing through this process and has made it clear that the issue of permit free recreational angling access must be resolved in perpetuity to ensure not detriment to recreational anglers in the future with any new land claims.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig Ingram
Executive Officer AFANT
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Hi Craig, do you know what concerns about ‘land care’ have caused this new escalation in tension between the TO’s and.. well.. everyone else? Are recreational fishermen being accused of not looking after the river system?
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Yep, just a money grab! You just about named every river system in the Northern Territory there craig! Funny how we are getting bent over the barrel and all the good areas are under land claims.

Our tax dollar goes to them in welfare payments, health, infastructure and god knows what. Now it will also go to them in royalties so we can fish rivers that we have been fishing for life times. Its a very fair Australia- well fair for them at least!

Give them the land.... but stop paying my taxes to them and see how well they live! I bet an agreement would come pretty bl..dy quickly! Or at least it might make and earn some money for them self in tourism! That wold be a fair out come! we work, they work ( :rofl: ) we all work for our money!
JC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JC »

Find out who Wunamil is and stop his Centrelink benefits
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Slightly ironic name right there....
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Obviously no listened to old Woody Guthrie anymore
This land is your land this land is my land........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaI5IRuS2aE
passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Post by passenger279 »

Couple of points just to keep some of the red necks on their toes.

The people on here crying about the unfairness of getting your butts thrown off land that isn't yours hopefully aren't the same people whining about ''illegal immigrants'' on ''their'' land.

The people whining about their tax dollars wouldn't want to be earning developed world money, sitting in front of big TV's, slobbering over McCrap and driving expensive cars while people literally eat dirt until they die for lack of any other option, while our resource companies rape their countries and fill our pockets, all because they were born in the wrong G.P.S. coordinates.

First world problems ladies, you're all crying yourselves a river big enough to fish and everyone with a sense of humour and a brain finds it hilarious.