Looking for a quality led spot light

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Aussieshooter

Re: Looking for a quality led spot light

Post by Aussieshooter »

Does anyone know what HID the PL175 uses? Im looking at getting a hid kit for it and need the globe.

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Are u talking about the hand held Power Beam spotties?

I know that a power beam 7" hid conversion kit uses a H1 globe. U buying yr own kit and fitting it or getting a power beam kit?

regards

Ronj
Regards
Ronje
Aussieshooter

Post by Aussieshooter »

Hey Ron,

Yeah I think their the 7 inch.
I have purchased the H1, 35w 6000k kit. I will receive the kit tomorrow. I spoke to powabeam and their reason for charging 300 each light is that the reflecictive cone has to be different and the ballast is customized.
Regardless of this I personally think that they are a rip off.

The old man is a electrical engineer so he is keen to give it a crack.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

You are right about Powa Beam's hid kit cost.

All u need is kit that fits inside. Plenty of kits around for $80 - $100.

Mind u, 175mm doesnt leave a lot of room for the ballast. But there are smaller digital ones around.

Their story about changes to the reflector don't ring true. There is no reason to change the reflector unless they are changing the beam pattern.

I've played around with hid lights over the last couple of years.

They sure make a difference if changing from halogen to hid. The change cost is worth the money.

BUT change costs in going from 35watt hid to 75watt hid isn't worth the money despite what the specifications say about the amount of light gained.

let me know how it turns out please?

regards
Ronj
Regards
Ronje
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

i personally would have gone with the 55 watt kit
i have a 35 watt and a 55watt kit in my 2 spotties on the car and the 55watt punches a much cleaner light crisper light
the 35 watt is in spot beam which should have more distance but the 55watt in the spread beam still has a crisp light at the end
i mounted the ballast on the outside of the spotlight on my handheld?roof mounted spotty doesnt look as tidy as if it was hidden inside but dont need to pull the spotlight apart to fix anything if it fails
Aussieshooter

Post by Aussieshooter »

I was considering a 55w but it has an extra cm in length. I want to keep the whole kit internal. The old man has a machining centre aswell as a lathe, If it works out well there might be a possability of making our own conversion kit for the powabeam market at a far less price.

My ownly concern is that the extra brightness might scare the vermin to much and not enough time to get a shot off at far distances.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

yep i put the hidin my nighteater.... you heard of them lights????? when i converted that to a hid
i had to make a globe holder and drill and tap the original base and put longer stainless bolts to give it more focus
you couldnt get a normal halogen light as tight a focus as i have on my night eater and its bright now to say the least