Camping @ mouth of the Finniss

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Camping @ mouth of the Finniss

Post by Brent Matthews »

ozdodge wrote:The actual creek crossing is hard bottomed, but just past the creek, when the tide's in, you're forced up close to the mangroves where the mud is - if so, hit it hard. If the tides out, cross further out towards the sea where the sand is hard and there's no mangrove mud. There's one patch of soft sand on the beach drive where there's lots of driftwood - keep going, don't stop.

Hope you get some.
Sorry Ozdodge but thats a bad idea. I would suggest always crossing as close to the Left as possible on the way down. I go down there quite a bit but one year got bogged and swamped doing exactly what you suggested and crossing the sand where I thought it was hard.

Its deceptive and once you break through its sinks quick.

Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

Thanks for all your input,fellas. Much appreciated. :clap: Rang ole mate last nite and hes doin a trial run today to check out his spot. I,ll pass on your comments an tips, and having been camping with this crew before they always take more rubbish out than what they bring in,Doug. :applause: Bit hesitant about setting up a tent but. Might have to lob the swag on the roof rack for the kids,(teenagers,) an the missus an me in the back of the ute. Are crocs likely to wander into camp of a night if we are back up in the trees? :shock: Should be an adventure anyway. Cheers Jersy
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Brent Matthews wrote:
Sorry Ozdodge but thats a bad idea. I would suggest always crossing as close to the Left as possible on the way down. I go down there quite a bit but one year got bogged and swamped doing exactly what you suggested and crossing the sand where I thought it was hard.

Its deceptive and once you break through its sinks quick.
That's a fair call Brent. I think remember reading your article and seeing your car being swallowed up.

When we were there the other day though, and on the one other occassion I've done the trip in on the beach, the sand out from the creek was hard - but we walked it both times first. I definately agree things can change over time, so you should always walk it first (or watch the guy in front of you do it first :roll: :roll: )

That mangrove mud was NASTY business though, and old mate in the Hilux behind us got well stuck in it and needed winching out.

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!